Heavy Knock When Turning.

2 hours ago, Whit3Knight said:

Hi,

All i can go by is my own issues i had with my car same clunk/knock when setting off, under load...... I changed the Dogbone as this was tired to say the least spend many a evening checking allsorts and it turned out to be a loos nut on the axle bolt cv end popped alloy wheel cap off put a 36mm multi point on and tightned and no more noise. hope this helps great cars!

Not a loose hub nut mate, i've got 5 new ones in toolbox. The amount of times i've had the suspension apart I ordered 10 hub nuts new, & I always use a new one (torqued up). I've learned one thing though... not to buy cheap pattern bottom ball joints! I renewed near-side 6 months ago & yesterday, whilst stripping down ready to fit new top-mount, I found the ball joint to be unbelievably loose & it was sticking & then snapping free, only cost £11.99 though, so lesson learned! P.S. as said before, knocks when stationary, so I doubt it's anything to do with engine/gearbox mounts.

The fact it happens when the wheel is turned suggests one of two things, CV joint or steering rack issue.

Top mounts would knock on any rough surface, dog bone would knock on acceleration and decelartion when coming off throttle completely after accelerating. Dog bone is laterally loaded fore and aft.

Does it do it both directions?

Edited by Bad-Grandpa

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/06/2022 at 22:29, Bad-Grandpa said:

The fact it happens when the wheel is turned suggests one of two things, CV joint or steering rack issue.

Top mounts would knock on any rough surface, dog bone would knock on acceleration and decelartion when coming off throttle completely after accelerating. Dog bone is laterally loaded fore and aft.

Does it do it both directions?

Everyone who travels with me confers that it feels like it's from under front pass seat, it's quite pronounced. Parts bought/changed up to now. Top-mounts, front shocks, drop-links, arb bushes, steering rack + inner rods & ends, bottom balljoints (all both sides), nearside driveshaft (all new parts).

No knocks/rattles/clunks when driving straight on good or rough roads, nothing when accelerating/decelerating or changing gears. It will knock on lock to lock when stationary (with engine running)??? P.S. Sorry for late reply.

1 minute ago, Wheelie1 said:

Everyone who travels with me confers that it feels like it's from under front pass seat, it's quite pronounced. Parts bought/changed up to now. Top-mounts, front shocks, drop-links, arb bushes, steering rack + inner rods & ends, bottom balljoints (all both sides), nearside driveshaft (all new parts).

No knocks/rattles/clunks when driving straight on good or rough roads, nothing when accelerating/decelerating or changing gears. It will knock on lock to lock when stationary (with engine running)??? P.S. Sorry for late reply.

P.P.S. yes.....does it in both directions. If i try to smooth bends out it doesn't often knock, but if following bends it will, quite often.