Canton Surround Sound

Hi Folks,

Does anyone know what format my music needs to be on the USB to produce real 5.1 Surround sound on the MK 4 iV with Canton sound system. I have tried the original wav files which are 5.1 Dolby encoded but they only play in 2 channel. I've tried converting them to FLAC, Opus and Ogg all to no avail yet they play OK on my Denon amp.

Thanks.

John

• 2 weeks later...
On 17/06/2022 at 18:21, weehappypixie said:

Thanks Kenny,

I will give it a go.

John

Hi John,

Hope you managed to get this working (I wrote the article Kenny linked to).  It does work, but you do need to turn the Canton surround value up to between +7 & +9 before you will be able to hear the true audio separation.

Also, whilst other lossy formats will work, FLAC or ALAC seems to work best with lossless 5.1.

Any questions, please let me know and i'll try and help.

Thanks,

Stephen.

22 hours ago, Slick2097 said:

Hi John,

Hope you managed to get this working (I wrote the article Kenny linked to).  It does work, but you do need to turn the Canton surround value up to between +7 & +9 before you will be able to hear the true audio separation.

Also, whilst other lossy formats will work, FLAC or ALAC seems to work best with lossless 5.1.

Any questions, please let me know and i'll try and help.

Thanks,

Stephen.

Thanks Stephen,

I've not had a chance to test it yet due to COVID 😞

Will try this weekend and let you know.

Ripped the multi-surround audio from my BluRay Audio disc. The thing I don't understand is that the manual for my Skoda Octavia 4 VRS iV (Jun 2021) say's only Opus supports multichannel sound. I will try FLAC as this is what I usually use for everything else and MediaInfo shows the file is 6 chan.

Thanks again.

John