Octavia Mk1 1.9Tdi - Power Steering Leak - Advice on replacing it

Hi,
I have a MK1 Octavia 1.9 tdi, yesterday the power steering started making a horrible noise, I checked the fluid and it was low. I have looked under the car today and its leaking from the drivers side
Can anyone recommend where I could buy a steering rack please? Are they easy to fit and has anyone got any tips on fitting one? Are they all the same on the MK1s or any other car?
Can it be done with the wheels on? I have drive up ramps to do it at home
Any advice would be greatly appreciated 🙂
Thanks

8 hours ago, cyber_killer said:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

I had a similar issue a few years back. The price of (exchange) parts and fluids is more than the price of labour in a local garage.

I replaced mine with one from Western Power Steering and it's been fine so far. 

I think there are videos on YouTube for the fitting, but from memory roughly as follows:

1. Jack up the front and put axle stands under the chassis at the front.
  2. Undo dogbone mount from gearbox.
  3. Remove front wheels and undo track rod ends from the hubs.
  4. Undo fluid lines from the rack and drain remaining fluid.
  5. Loosen bolts holding rack to subframe
  6. Undo bolt on the joint between rack & column inside the car (I found this a bit tricky to get off - had to get something in there to help lever it off)
  7. Undo subframe bolts. You'll probably need a good impact wrench and/or breaker bar to undo them. They're not supposed to be reused so consider ordering new ones.
  8. Lower subframe and replace the rack.

Worth inspecting the front ARB bushes at the same time as it's easier to replace them while the subframe is lowered and they aren't expensive.