Any experience of Skoda Rapid 1.4TSI automatic remap

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum. I have a Skoda Rapid that I will need to start driving each day for a new job. I am considering a remap to make it a little bit more fun to drive. Celtic Tuning claim to be able to boost the performance considerably with a stage 1 remap, upping the power from 123-180bhp and the torques from 148-210. Car is in good order with a bout 50K miles on the clock. Does anyone have any experience of having a similar remap of their Rapid? Cheers, Richard

Not of the Rapid but I had their remap done on my Yeti by one of their agents and it is very good, I would also recommend them as a company, had I had the remap done at their Newquay headquarters they would have done an emissions rollback for me FOC, as it was Covid travel restrictions and my own schedule would not allow it.

A couple of months ago I attended the funeral of my stepmother in Cornwall & stayed with friend at Newquay, I popped into Celtic Tuning completely on the offchance and with only a tight hour to spare before the cremation, they pulled out all the stops and did it there and then, I had to pay, given their co-operation it would have been churlish to say that they were once going to do it FOC.

The car drives even better still since the rollback and the very frequent regens happen very rarely now and I have never once interrupted one when switching off the engine which would happen all the time before.

Welcome.

The Experience will be much the same as any model of a Euro 6 1.4 TSI 148 or 150 ps with a DQ200 DSG which is you will get a bit more power.

So if the engine and DQ200 is OK then not an issue.

Are you going to run on E10 95 ron or E5 97/99 ron and what do Celtic Tuning show if not on Super Unleaded as the possible gain?

Maybe more on Briskoda have had Octavia 1.4 TSI's remapped.

Maybe best you get an engine remap and a DSG remap of the DQ200 7 speed twin dry clutch DSG.

?

Does Celtic Tuning do DQ200 remaps? 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/496005-octavia-mk3-14-tsi-remap

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/477722-anyone-think-remaps-are-worth-it

1384336435_Screenshot2022-01-3014_03_59.jpg.d43b66a38bf086423e31cbd1b02722b8 (1).jpg

Edited by roottoot

Thanks both!

(JR: I hope everything is OK for you and your family. Thanks so much for replying.)

I have been mulling over the 'value proposition' of remapping for a while, when I realised working from home was coming to an end. Really appreciate the reassurances. At least I am taking them as reassurances as I am pretty set on getting a remap done and was previously thinking of buying a BMW 116i and getting it remapped to about 200bhp (basically making it the same as a 120i, which costs $$$ more).

It makes more sense at the moment to work with the car I have, which is a practical all round second car. The only thing really wrong with it is that it is very unexciting to drive :)

Following roottoots links, someone got a different Rapid model remapped from 88-150 and was quite impressed with the results:

'The Rapid is completely different.  Its now what a "rapid" should have been. Knocked seconds off 30 - 70 in a straight line which is exactly what I wanted.  Fuel comsumption is perhaps worse, but , then, I do tend to play with the extra performance'

-Thats pretty much what I had in mind!

It is good to hear that the customer service is good and no concerns about the quality of the work done by Celtic. I plan to take it down to the facility in Derby and put it on the dyno to see before and after curves.

-I will ask if they have an example plot of what the power and torque curves might look like

-I'll ask about whether the car needs fuelling with super unleaded after the remap

The car has a DSG gearbox. I know next to nothing about them but I think it is similar to the one I had on a Octavia VRS a couple of cars back. In the FAQs on the Celtic Tuning website:

'An automatic gearbox in most instances is actually stronger than a manual so with regards to the power it is more than up to handling it. There are however a few things to note with regard to automatic gearboxes. If you have a DSG gearbox then we are able to modify the software to allow more torque and higher RPMS. If you have an automatic box which isn’t DSG then we are unable to remove the engine RPM limiters so although you get more power, the gearbox will still change at the factory RPM limiter.'

-I need to educate myself a bit about this. I'll ask before I book it in about whether they do anything/can do anything to remap the DSG to optimise to work with the remapped engine

The person I spoke to on the phone said that they would run basic diagnostics before running the remap. 

I am planning to get the remap done in a couple of weeks. You can't make an omelette without breaking eggs :) I'll let you know how it goes. Cheers, Richard

@RR1976

No need to break an engine though. So get the Servicing and maintenance done in the 2 weeks before anyone goes and puts new engine management on a car.

Do the Servicing and use the different petrol if you are going to when wanting improved performance then go do your spirited driving and be sure all feels good.

Know it is running well and fault codes if there are any are checked now and cleared and then you can see if any are logged again.

If Basic Diagnostics @ Celtic Tuning comprises of plugging the car in and checking for fault codes, misfires etc then best you get 4 new spark plugs in prior to visiting and maybe a new air filter and Super Unleaded fuel and see that the car is running well.

If you use E10 95 Unleaded now then why not try Tesco Momentum 99 Super Unleaded and see if the car feels any more responsive.

That will be only about £2.50 a tank full more than buying unleaded.  Maybe no more if you are not buying Super Market Unleaded now but the Big Branded fuels.

Best that you do try to learn about the DSG you have. 

Your DSG is very different from the one in your vRS.

That would have been a 6 speed Wet Clutch DSG which had one oil in it and required oil & filter changes every 40,000 miles.

A DQ250 DSG i expect.

The type of DSG you have in a 1.4 TSI Rapid is not used in 2.0 TSI's or TDI's. 

But then whoever at Celtic Tuning you talk to should explain that to you. 

You have a DQ200 7 speed Twin Dry clutch DSG which has 2 oils in it, in the box and in the MCU and it has no servicing schedule, guidelines or recommendations.

They are in FWD cars with no more than 250 Nm from that factory and in Skoda no more than 180 ps and in VW;s no more than 192 ps. 

( in the Remap Links you read i have spoken about Mk2 Fabia vRS 1.4 TSI's being remapped to over 200 ps and over 210 ps stage 1 or stage 2 and having 300 /320 Nm on the standard DQ200 DSG without issue, but then there are those that have not been lucky.) 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/456036-dq200-dsg-tpi-information

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/439395-the-story-of-the-famous-dq200-clutch-slip/page/9

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/478696-highest-mileage-with-a-dq200-dsg-gearbox

1405220667_Screenshot2020-10-16at17_25_09 (1).webp

Your car does not need the DSG Oil Change.

The Spark Plugs should have been changed or inspected and the Air Filter checked, changed or cleaned. 

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa (1).webp

757510080_Screenshot2020-11-01at11_56_45.webp

Edited by roottoot

@roottoot

'No need to break an engine though.' ...very funny and very true :) 

Thanks for taking the time to share your knowledge and summarise the prior discussions. It's really helpful.

I will get it booked in to our regular garage for a service and make sure it is running perfectly.

I've also got some more reading to do on DSG gearboxes and possibly other remaps that might be available.

Thanks again for the kind help!  Cheers, Richard

• 3 weeks later...

I had mine remapped, after a few test runs we couldn't get more than 0.8PSI of boost (up from 0.6PSI). 

OK so it turned out the actuator needed turning anti-clockwise twice (720 degrees), bingo we have 1PSI of boost, but dropping to 0.9PSI at peak revs.

This was achieved in D only, in S we only got 0.9PSI of boost, so D is faster than S. S is only there to hold the revs higher for going round fast corners.

We aren't sure at this stage if the issue is the Diverter Valve not holding boost or perhaps there is a torque limit on the DQ200 DSG gearbox.

I have since had the Diverter Valve changed for a revision "G". Word of warning, the old one (piston style) fell to bits as I took it out. I can't explain how bad this could've been as a bit almost fell in to the turbo...

I am due to go back in the coming months to see if this has worked and for part 2 of my remap...the DQ200 gearbox.

Another word of warning, Skoda put tuners protection on my ECU, AND the gearbox! Now as I got my car from a main dealer in 2021 it was quite up to date for the ECU revision and bypassing the tuners protection was easy enough. At the time we couldn't bypass the tuners protection on the DQ200, however we now have the tools to do this. So part 2 is to unlock the DQ200, firmware update it as it was 3 revisions out of date at the time (which means the dealer did not update the DSG when I bought it in 2021. Now the DQ200 gearbox can be remapped for quicker gear changes, better clamping etc. but not entirely sure if I want to go down that route just yet. I want to see if the new diverter valve in combination with an updated DSG gearbox can hold 1PSI of boost.

We could've gone higher in terms of boost but then the inlet temps would've just become too high and we would've had to have dumped more fuel in. Currently fuel economy is very good (when you're driving sensibly). On the motorway it's fantastic.

I suppose we're after some other numbers here, unfortunately I didn't test beforehand but 0-60MPH was done in 8 seconds flat after several tests via the OBD2 port. Factory sheet says 9.5 but I believe the car is quicker than that by default so...

Oh I'm new here BTW! Hello! I have had my car since January 2021 and I have been closely following these forums for the better part of a decade.

• Like 1

@rapidnick

Welcome.

?

Who is the 'we', do you work for some tuner / garage? 

I am a little confused by what you say about the Dealer having not updated the DSG or that there was an ECU revision.

Dealership do not usually check a car or return the ECU to a Factory Setting, they might even sell one that has a Remap on it and the new owner is unaware, 

the steering, brake assist, XDS / XDS+ can be as it was reset to and the new owners is unaware.

?

Was there some DQ200 DSG update other than '34H7' which was introduced on some DQ200's 2013-2015 as a preventative measure, 

& what was the Revision for the ECU with a 2014 1.4 TSI? 

?

Are there TPI's covering these that Skoda / VW Group Main Dealerships might just be ignoring?

Edited by roottoot

I have a friend who runs his own business in remapping. 

2 hours ago, roottoot said:

@rapidnick

Welcome.

?

Who is the 'we', do you work for some tuner / garage? 

I am a little confused by what you say about the Dealer having not updated the DSG or that there was an ECU revision.

Dealership do not usually check a car or return the ECU to a Factory Setting, they might even sell one that has a Remap on it and the new owner is unaware, 

the steering, brake assist, XDS / XDS+ can be as it was reset to and the new owners is unaware.

?

Was there some DQ200 DSG update other than '34H7' which was introduced on some DQ200's 2013-2015 as a preventative measure, 

& what was the Revision for the ECU with a 2014 1.4 TSI? 

?

Are there TPI's covering these that Skoda / VW Group Main Dealerships might just be ignoring?

We as in I have a friend who does remapping.

Well the dealer updated my ECU as it was only 1 revision out of date and my tuner said it had been updated recently.

The DSG was 3 revisions out of date. I can't tell you the revision numbers as I am the customer.

A 2014 1.4 TSI yes.

About the TPI's, not sure.

• Thanks 1