How long to remove and refit an ABS ECU??

Garage has my 1.8 BBZ engine ABS unit out after a fault came up on the dash, sent it to get fixed under warranty as fault was found and now they have it back, but wondering how many hours labour should I be looking at to remove and refit it with all the brake lines bleeding, etc.?

They've given me a time/hours taken to do it all, just checking if it sounds about right? WIll post once I've had a few answers. Cheers

What difference would it make for someone to give you a figure now?

The time to negotiate would have been before you instructed them to undertake the work .

In addition to the labour there are their overhead costs, the time to package and send away the ABS unit etc.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, J.R. said:

What difference would it make for someone to give you a figure now?

The time to negotiate would have been before you instructed them to undertake the work .

In addition to the labour there are their overhead costs, the time to package and send away the ABS unit etc.

So you don't have an answer then? 

Thanks for your help. 

Simple enough question, how many hours to physically take out and then refit an abs ecu. 

Didn't say I was going to argue semantics with them, just wanted to know if they're on the money or not. 

Edited by blackspaven

5 minutes ago, blackspaven said:

So you don't have an answer then? 

Thanks for your help. 

Simple enough question, how many hours to physically take out and then refit an abs ecu. 

Didn't say I was going to argue semantics with them, just wanted to know if they're on the money or not. 

I have to agree with J.R. at this point, if youve already agreed and started the job you cant argue anything now. But that being said it all depends on what exactly they are doing. It depends if the ECU is fresh and requires coding and setting up, if this is the case id add another hours labour for that. The actual fitting of the unit takes 20 minutes or so id say, but accessing it depends whats in the way so physically fitting and removing id give 1.5 hours, bleeding the brakes another hour and an hour for coding so lets 3.5 hours or so but even armed with someone elses timings you cant walk in to a garage and say a man on the internet told me it would take 3.5 hours why have you quoted 5 hours

• Like 1

I've no plans on disputing anything with the garage, it's where I take my car and will carry on taking it, which is why I felt the reply from j.r was a load of old toss cos he's presuming I will be having a rare up or summat based on his own asaumptions, I merely asked how long it would take. But thank you Aperture for actually answering what I asked, appreciate it. 

They're not far off, and as said, even if they weren't I wouldn't be questioning it with them, was just curious is all. 

Seems ridiculous that this wasn't a relatively straight question/answer scenario. I've been on here 14 years now, and I understand why legends with massive amounts of knowledge such as Mike Holroyd have decided to leave. Its a very different place nowadays, sadly. 

Mods, please feel free to close this thread, thanks. 

Edited by blackspaven

2 hours ago, blackspaven said:

Its a very different place nowadays, sadly. 

The tone and content of your replies bear testament to that.