Locking wheel nut code

marineboy

Does anyone know where I can find the code for the nut?  I haven’t lost the nut but want to be prepared if I (or Kwikfit) do. I’ve looked for a sticker somewhere and in the manual but can’t find anything. 

1 hour ago, marineboy said:

Does anyone know where I can find the code for the nut?  I haven’t lost the nut but want to be prepared if I (or Kwikfit) do. I’ve looked for a sticker somewhere and in the manual but can’t find anything. 

I'd replace the locking studs with plain ones and put them and the key in the bottom drawer. 

Nobody nicks alloys these days - every single car on the market has a different size and a different design so there's no market for nobbled wheels any more.

Locking studs are pain in the backside. If you haven't got any you can't lose the key or chew them up.

Edited by Phutters

I have a vague recollection that the code is stamped on the locking adapter and the threaded end of the studs

1 hour ago, Phutters said:

I'd replace the locking studs with plain ones and put them and the key in the bottom drawer. 

Nobody nicks alloys these days - every single car on the market has a different size and a different design so there's no market for nobbled wheels any more.

Locking studs are pain in the backside. If you haven't got any you can't lose the key or chew them up.

Interesting point of view but not one that I’d subscribe to. But thanks anyway. 

56 minutes ago, skomaz said:

I have a vague recollection that the code is stamped on the locking adapter and the threaded end of the studs

Thanks for that. There is definitely nothing on the adapter but I’ll have a look on the actual bolt. 

Just checked - there is indeed a single letter stamped on the end of the bolt which matches one on the adapter. I had noticed the latter but thought it wasn’t the code as I assumed there must be more than 26 possible configurations. Obviously not!

44 minutes ago, marineboy said:

Interesting point of view but not one that I’d subscribe to. 

I'd be interested to know your rationale for wanting to keep them. Seriously.

I'm not trying to start an argument because it's much too hot for that - I'm genuinely curious to know why you wouldn't entertain doing it.

I've suffered a few alloy locking studs crises over the years and suddenly came to the realisation that the pitfalls far outweighed the benefits and got rid of three sets.

I wouldn't have done it when the theft of alloys was rife, but that's a couple or more decades ago and they just seem to be an anachronism these days.

Not an argument, just a healthy discussion!

I’ve been driving for more years than I care to remember and since at least the 80s all my cars have had locking wheel nuts. Some of the early ones were a bit iffy but I have to say that I’ve never had a real problem with them. 

I don’t know the stats re wheels theft and if it’s increasing or not but I do believe that there is a big market now in stolen car spare parts due to the delivery issues. So for me the very minor inconvenience of a locking nut on each wheel gives me a modicum of peace of mind. 

My dealer holds a case with all the locking bolt key nuts.

I learned this when the car was in for service, but he couldn’t find the key nut in the boot because I keep it handy in the centre glove box.

I’d certainly consider throwing the locking bolts away, but can’t be bothered