Estate boot switch fault..?

Got a boot opening issue which is happening more and more often now.

I try to open the boot, can hear the click of the micro-switch from the release button but not the noise from the actuator.......and the boot obviously doesn't open,

Sometimes if being persistent it'll open.

Anyone had similar fault, car is a 59 plate and has 210k under it's belt.

Thanks in advance.

John.

I had this problem on our 1.9tdi estate (2007) as it had stood for some time before we got it.  In our case, repeated use of the 'unlock' seemed to free off the works and we've not had a problem since.

You could try removing the lower plastic trim from inside the door and dosing the lock works with a ptfe spray.

20 minutes ago, MikeTheThinker said:

I had this problem on our 1.9tdi estate (2007) as it had stood for some time before we got it.  In our case, repeated use of the 'unlock' seemed to free off the works and we've not had a problem since.

You could try removing the lower plastic trim from inside the door and dosing the lock works with a ptfe spray.

Will give this a try, thanks.

I'm thinking though it could be broken wires where the loom goes between boot and body.........but your idea sounds like an easier fix!

I just came on to see if there was any advice for this. Same age of car, and the boot switch no longer working. I've been blaming it sitting outside in torrential rain a few weeks ago. It did the same about a year ago, but you could eventually get it to work if you tried enough. This time it's just not working and I'm having to use the button on the key to open it.

I did wonder about the wiring, because if you open the tailgate with the car still running, the rear wiper comes on ( which I'm pretty sure it shouldn't!-) but it's been doing that for a long time which is why I'm thinking it's maybe just the switch, or at least it was last time.

Edited by jrp
typo

Stripped the panel from the tailgate and the panel from inside the boot today.......I put a noid light on the plug going to the actuator and bypassed the boot (micro) switch and low and behold the noid light lit up....so looks like the micro-switch has failed.  Part no. is 1Z0 827 574C

There's a new one on e-bay for about £35 but I'll order from my local TPS, might get it a wee bit cheaper ? 

I did loosen the rubber boot around the wiring between body and tailgate but all wires intact.....although the thicker white one had a crack in the insulation....ok for now though.

Edited by JohnMack
  • Like 1

I took the switch out, and although clicking it wasn't making contact. I also found I could actuate the boot by using a wire to bypass the switch. I didn't want to wait for one from China so ordered this one https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165140806387 which came a couple of days later. Put it in yesterday and now have a working boot switch again.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...