Oil all over...

Hi guys, 

So, yesterday I removed all four wheels to send them for refurbishing and took a look at the engine areas that were visible from the openings in the wheel arches. I was surprised to see so much oil all over! Considering that no spills are visible on the upper parts of the engine (from services, since I only ever topped up once myself, very carefully), could this be a sign of oil leaks? I'm beginning to think this car will be a well of problems not so far down the line, so much so because every thing I ever complained about during the 5y extended warranty  was always "nothing we can see or hear".... Some pictures attached. Car has only done 75k km, should be as new considering my driving. It's soooo much worse than my 382k km, 21 yo petrol astra... The dark stain on the last picture is oil spilled on the under tray, can't imagine how much is soaked in the felt-like lining right under the engine...

IMG_20220719_221118.jpg

IMG_20220719_221341_1.jpg

IMG_20220719_221213.jpg

Edited by pcspinheiro

Thanks! So, together with a video I just saw, the seal would be part of the oily black plastic bit just behind the crank pulley on my first photo, right? As in this screenshot below.

This is where I first saw oil, but there's a lot on the other side too... I need to take it to the stealership as soon as I get my wheels back from refurbishing. They'll likely say it's nothing, it's normal...

IMG_20220721_215136.jpg

Edited by pcspinheiro

Taking the car in tomorrow, will update on what they find (or not...). Another worrisome note, the car has been reluctant to start cold, especially if left stopped for a few days. Today it took it quite some cranking to start and then there was this smell in the air (my young son noticed that, said there was a weird smell in the garage) that was a bit sweet. Could it be coolant? I think I may be freaking out about this car, but I would like to keep it for many years trouble-free.

Quick update, they did find an oil leak from the gearbox (that's what is causing the big stain on the under tray) and the valve cover (that one I could not see) but say that the crankshaft seal was "clean". I disputed this and they insisted on it until I showed my photos taken the week before. Then yeah, they agreed to send that in as well for an insurance claim... 😒 Sadly, they will only do it after the 16th since the guy that took my case will be on vacation. No matter as I'm away too, but it could speed things up a little. 

But the takeaway here is, this is super lame for an engine with a mere 75k km on the clock and always driven sensibly. It's leaking oil everywhere and I'm starting to wonder if the reluctance to start cold and the sweet smell we noticed the other day in the garage couldn't be a head gasket going too... There's no way I'll get them to look at it under the warranty though...

• Like 1