Tyre Damage

Expatman

I noticed today that both front tyres (Goodyear Vector All Seasons Gen2) the tread seems to be slightly breaking up, mainly around the outside 1/3 but also on the inside 1/3. It looks like bits of the rubber to a depth of 2-3 mm have come away and in other places the top  0.5mm tread seems to be separating - maybe 6mm long slivers. There is no evidence of feathering typical with tracking problems and the pitting is not too extensive but is evident around  the whole of the circumference. Breaking up is nowhere near deep enough to go right through the tread. Approx 5mm of tread left. Tyres are 3 years old. No evidence of break up on rear tyres and all the tyres were replaced at the same time.

Yeti is 2017 1.2 DSG.

Only suggestion I have heard so far is a faulty batch of tyres or tracking out. But I have seen the results of bad tracking before and this doesn’t look like that at all.

Anyone encountered this before or any ideas what’s happening?

Edited by Expatman

Got any pics?

I ran the same tyre on a Vx Signum for 4 years with zero issues. In fact, I loved them so much I put the same tyres on my OH's and FiL's cars.

^^^ This. 

How many miles covered over the 3 years ?

The rear tyres are not having to deal with any drive to them like the fronts on a 1.2 TSI with a DQ200 DSG that can be prone to trying to spin the tyres. 

Changing tyres back to front periodically is a good idea but would have made no difference probably in the recent hot weather / roads and with All Season tyres what was on the front will possibly just suffer damage. 

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/505352-deteriorating-front-tyres

Edited by roottoot