What to look at when buying a used Karoq 4x4 2.0Tdi with Factory fit electric folding towbar

Smallholdertoo

We are just about to buy our 6th Skoda a 2018 Karoq with an electric folding towbar to replace my wife's 12 year old Yeti. My wife has been told horror stories re detachable towbars.

Although this is not strictly a detachable towbar, are there any known issues with the factory fitted electric folding towbar? or anything that I should check in relation to this as well as the car in general?  The car is SE l spec.

Many thanks 

If not used for a while they can become clogged up with road grime and mud and then don’t drop.    But should be able to check this by making the salesman extend it and retract it.

On a more general point, always worth checking a vehicle with towbar for signs of excess heavy loading (look at shoulders of rear tyres, then press down on each corner to check not bouncy due to worn shock absorbers, and car is sitting level not with duff spring etc)

Edited by SurreyJohn

54 minutes ago, SurreyJohn said:

If not used for a while they can become clogged up with road grime and mud and then don’t drop.    But should be able to check this by making the salesman extend it and retract it.

On a more general point, always worth checking a vehicle with towbar for signs of excess heavy loading (look at shoulders of rear tyres, then press down on each corner to check not bouncy due to worn shock absorbers, and car is sitting level not with duff spring etc)

Good points from SurreyJohn. 

We bought our Karoq in 2018 and the retracting tow-bar still works fine with no particular maintenance or cleaning. I should add that tow-bar has had very little use, however, and the Karoq has only done 24k miles in 4 years. For some reason, when I demonstrated the tow-bar to female friends, they couldn't stop giggling.

• 2 weeks later...
On 26/09/2022 at 11:09, StEdmund said:

For some reason, when I demonstrated the tow-bar to female friends, they couldn't stop giggling.

Yes, When anyone comments on the fact that we have a new car, this is the one and only feature that the wife wants to show off. The reaction amongst the other females is always the same as yours… odd things women!

As odd as a man who chooses to show off his towbar to female friends.

Edited by J.R.