How to choose a battery

Hi all,

I'm a real novice when it comes to cars, so please bear with me.

The battery for my Skoda Rapid (2014, 1.2ltr, 77kW) needs to be replaced. The current battery is a SuperCharge MF55HSS and was installed by a roadside assistance company. Given that and with the fact that the battery has start/stop feature (the car doesn't support it), it looks to me that that battery is maybe not the best fit and also a little bit "oversized".

My question is: what are the parameters to select a battery? Does it need to have the same parameters for CCA, RG and AH as the current one? Or can it be lower? Does it has to be the same size?

I also tried online car battery databases, but learned that those are not always reflect the manufacturer guidance.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, CarterH said:

Hi all,

I'm a real novice when it comes to cars, so please bear with me.

The battery for my Skoda Rapid (2014, 1.2ltr, 77kW) needs to be replaced. The current battery is a SuperCharge MF55HSS and was installed by a roadside assistance company. Given that and with the fact that the battery has start/stop feature (the car doesn't support it), it looks to me that that battery is maybe not the best fit and also a little bit "oversized".

My question is: what are the parameters to select a battery? Does it need to have the same parameters for CCA, RG and AH as the current one? Or can it be lower? Does it has to be the same size?

I also tried online car battery databases, but learned that those are not always reflect the manufacturer guidance.

Thanks in advance.

If the car doesn't have stop/start then an AGM battery is not correct, and this may explain why the battery hasn't lasted very long.

Varta C30 (smaller physical size than your current battery)

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/varta-silver-dynamic/554-400-053

Varta D15 (same physical size as your current battery)

https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/varta-silver-dynamic/563-400-061

• Thanks 1