2.0 TSI automatic regeneration of GPF (gasoline particle filter) fails.

Hi There

Greatings from Denmark.
Please be patient with our translation image.gif.03920de52a0c1b14075ed0ec97070599.gif😉

Not sure if this topic is placed in the correct forum, please advice if not.

We Own this lovely ea888 gen 3b engine. However, we are struggling with the fact that it will not automatically regenerate the particle filter, which results in an emergency program up to the period just before step 1 is achieved ( About 3.5 - 4g of ash in the filter - VCDS values)
Once the engine reaches this stage where it starts its regeneration modus, it can't really recover from this on its own and there fore continuesly shuts down the regen just to start the modus once again. and now a manual regeneration is required.
Emergency program step 1 = increased combustion temperature, i.e. lots of air and petrol supplied and then we drive rather unevenly (the steering cannot figure out the mixture ratio at all) and no more than 8-10 km per liter (normally between 13 and 17).
Emergency program step 2 = the above + increased idling.
VCDS tells us that when the car has gone into emergency mode, the differential pressure sensor for the particulate filter both at idle and at a fixed speed, e.g. at 80km/h, shows values in the east and west, sometimes there is even negative hpa readings. We have also concluded that it is when these massive impacts on the values that the cars is running un even (huff and puff). (So a direct link is confirmed.) The differential sensor has been replaced, but even with a completely new original version of the sensor, the exact same values are displayed.
could there be a sensor or a tranmitter that either does not send or receives the correct signal in the regeneration procedure, which causes the procedure to stop and then restart again and again?
Bonus.
A manual / forced regeneration via VCDS and the engine runs like a dream again until the filter reaches the next regeneration time.
There are no errors in the vcds
No lights for the stopped particulate filter is turned on until error step 4 is reached.

We are more than open to input..

No fault codes at all. 

Adaption of new differentioal sensor on this model is not possible / required.

Also when changing the sensor the piping between the filter and the sensor where blown clean with compressed air.

• Like 1

I have read about this issue on Octavias with the same engine as mine as well, why I started this "discussion" in general maintaince. 

This morning I see that the "discussion" has been moved to the forum only regarding SuperB MKIII. is the correct? it is not about the car model but the engine problem. please advice. 

1 minute ago, das_rote_pherd said:

I have read about this issue on Octavias with the same engine as mine as well, why I started this "discussion" in general maintaince. 

This morning I see that the "discussion" has been moved to the forum only regarding SuperB MKIII. is the correct? it is not about the car model but the engine problem. please advice. 

The Octavia issu where in a Danish forum

Unfortunally is the owner of the Octavia with the same Issue as mine  didn´t add the solution to the problem he had with his car in january 2022

Presuming the sensor is working and the pipework is the right way round, the only way you should see a negative pressure is if there is an obstruction in the exhaust.

On the latest diesels there is a electrically controlled valve in the exhaust to help increase EGR flow, does the petrol model have something similar which could have failed?

Sorry most threads here are moved into the section for your car model, so you landed in Superb MkIII.

Some people will only look at their make and model threads, so will not see your post in the original section.

It's a shame that the person with the fault in the Danish forum has not come back to explain the fix, this is not very helpful.

This could be a software fix, where they had the car ECU flashed to fix this error, or the GPF is breaking down/fault elsewhere in exhaust/engine.

2 hours ago, SuperbTWM said:

Presuming the sensor is working and the pipework is the right way round, the only way you should see a negative pressure is if there is an obstruction in the exhaust.

On the latest diesels there is a electrically controlled valve in the exhaust to help increase EGR flow, does the petrol model have something similar which could have failed?

Hi SuperbTWM

Regarding the possible valve in the exhaust system I have no clue about this as i do not have acces to this kind of information

But as I  recall it I was told that this engine has an internal EGR funktion. if this help to answer your question