Radiator fans @ start - normal?

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Octavia MKIII, 1.6TDi which had 75k on the clock when I bought it 3 months ago and have since put 2.5k on it.

Recently, I've noticed that the radiator fan will kick in as the engine has started and it'll idle at around 10k. Along with this, once I'm driving, I usually have the average mpg per trip indicated in the dash display, and it'll drop down to 6.9mpg during the trips where the radiator fan is constantly on. The engine/car definitely feels like it gets warmer than usual as the cabin feels warmer even without having any climate controls turned on. There's no other real distinctive issues whilst driving the car, pulls well, everything works as it should. My trips aren't all long ones but it does get a weekly outing on a dual carriageway for 20-40 minutes and I do try to remember to drop it into 4th for a while but don't always remember.

I have read that this *could* be the car trying to force a DPF regen, but I'm not sure this to be true in this instance? Does the DPF light appear on the dash when it's doing a regen?

Unfortunately I don't have the car with me now as it's in the garage for this reason (along with a potential oil leak) else I'd have downloaded VAG DPF and attempted to see if my dongle is supported. 

Would really appreciate any information on this please. If you need any further information, let me know.

Thanks,

Alex 

39 minutes ago, varooom said:

Odds are that it is trying to do active regens.

When I picked up my Octavia 1.6tdi a few months ago, it was trying to regen immediately.

You need to measure soot calculated and measured, and oil ash content.

Thanks for the reply..

Would it be 'normal' when doing the active regens for the average mpg to do what it's doing and dropping to 6.9mpg and not really shifting? Seemed a bit odd to me?

6.9mpg seems high consumption, but I wouldn't trust values of what the display tells you.  Brim to brim is always the most reliable method of course.

Best to ignore that for a moment to get those values read out if you can.  By all means it's important also, but lower down IMHO.

• Like 1

Just now, varooom said:

6.9mpg seems high consumption, but I wouldn't trust values of what the display tells you.  Brim to brim is always the most reliable method of course.

Best to ignore that for a moment to get those values read out if you can.  By all means it's important also, but lower down IMHO.

The thing is, the brim to brim average is being affected by this too.. used to seeing over 50 but with this it's more like 45 or less which doesn't seem right to me (and my 'long' has also dropped under 50 now too. 

I'll keep an eye on it.

6 hours ago, Ayyarr said:

Hi all,

I have a 2013 Octavia MKIII, 1.6TDi which had 75k on the clock when I bought it 3 months ago and have since put 2.5k on it.

Recently, I've noticed that the radiator fan will kick in as the engine has started and it'll idle at around 10k. Along with this, once I'm driving, I usually have the average mpg per trip indicated in the dash display, and it'll drop down to 6.9mpg during the trips where the radiator fan is constantly on. The engine/car definitely feels like it gets warmer than usual as the cabin feels warmer even without having any climate controls turned on. There's no other real distinctive issues whilst driving the car, pulls well, everything works as it should. My trips aren't all long ones but it does get a weekly outing on a dual carriageway for 20-40 minutes and I do try to remember to drop it into 4th for a while but don't always remember.

I have read that this *could* be the car trying to force a DPF regen, but I'm not sure this to be true in this instance? Does the DPF light appear on the dash when it's doing a regen?

Unfortunately I don't have the car with me now as it's in the garage for this reason (along with a potential oil leak) else I'd have downloaded VAG DPF and attempted to see if my dongle is supported. 

Would really appreciate any information on this please. If you need any further information, let me know.

Thanks,

Alex 

My light never comes on.

• Like 1