Reac camera is not recommended for 2016 Octavia Estate?

Hello,

I am a new Skoda Octavia Estate owner. Model year of my car is 2016 and it has parking sensors at the rear. But I want to add rear view camera to my car. Once I searched this topic I saw many others who did it successfully and shared tutorials on youtube. Most of them state that they bought the camera from Aliexpress.

So I went directly to Aliexpress searched the “skoda octavia rear view camera”. 

Since the seller I found had many options I asked from him which ones he recommends to 2016 Octavia he replied that he does not recommend for the cars under 2017 as “most of them fail”.

So this answer confused me quiet a much.

The users who successfully retrofitted rear view camera to their pre 2016 ( as well as 2016) Octavia’s could you please help me with thi topic?

Is the seller that I talked right, shouldnt I buy rear view canera for my car?

or if you installed camera to your vehicle, where did you buy it, did you face with any issues? 

I also want to add that I have Swing headunit. Is it problem to use rear view camera?

Aliexpress link of the product is this:€ 52,63  15% Off | SINOSMART CanBus Reversing Dynamic Trajectory Parking Camera for Skoda Octavia Volkswagen Tiguan 187B 280 MQB PQ Audi A5 Q5 Q2
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGAr55J

If you give me some information related to those questions I would be very happy.

Reverse cameras work on any model, Il have a 2014 and fitted one.

The one you are looking at auto codes the infotainement  system.

If it fails to do so, then you can use a vcds adaptor to code the camera in.

I personnaly went with this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32570611045.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.46f61802I5QRBH and coded it.

You have to choose the right handle and plug type.

If I had to do it again, I would not go wih an rca connector on the cable  but the small  purple one as the RCA is a pitta to get trought the rubber gromet on the trunk. I ended utp cutting it and re soldered it when I finissed passing the cable.

Edited by nickytheshaft
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

Reverse cameras work on any model, Il have a 2014 and fitted one.

The one you are looking at auto codes the infotainement  system.

If it fails to do so, then you can use a vcds adaptor to code the camera in.

I personnaly went with this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32570611045.html?spm=a2g0o.order_list.0.0.46f61802I5QRBH and coded it.

You have to choose the right handle and plug type.

If I had to do it again, I would not go wih an rca connector on the cable  but the small  purple one as the RCA is a pitta to get trought the rubber gromet on the trunk. I ended utp cutting it and re soldered it when I finissed passing the cable.

Thank you for the comment.

Could you please specifically tell me which option you went and which you would go right now (as purchasable options in aliexpress menu such as A, B,C)

Could you please tell me when you did the installation and how is the overall quality of trunk opener and camera?

Does new trunk opener feels flimsy and bad quality?

I would not want to buy something that will break after a year of use.

Thanks in advance 

16 hours ago, Albert_Agarunov said:

Thank you for the comment.

Could you please specifically tell me which option you went and which you would go right now (as purchasable options in aliexpress menu such as A, B,C)

Could you please tell me when you did the installation and how is the overall quality of trunk opener and camera?

Does new trunk opener feels flimsy and bad quality?

I would not want to buy something that will break after a year of use.

Thanks in advance 

For the option, it really depends in your trunk handle size and plug. Measure the handle to determine the option. For the plug, you have to remove the boot trim to check.

I installed mine about 3 or 4 months ago and it is still working fine.

The trunk opener feels as good as the stock one.

When I had my android head unit, my camera was set to ahd and the picture was juste wonderful. 

I then installed a mib2 unit and had to set it to cvbs, the picture is not that good. It is ok but compared to the ahd it is like going from a 4k monitor to a CRT screen.

If you have the 11cm handle, go with the OEM camera € 88,75  5%OFF | FOR Skoda Octavia MK3 III Superb 3V B8 Rear View Trunk handle Camera with Highline Guidance Line Wiring harness 3V0 827 566 N
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGkhTrF

More expensive but good picture.

If you have the 9cm like me then you are stuck with after market 

8 hours ago, nickytheshaft said:

For the option, it really depends in your trunk handle size and plug. Measure the handle to determine the option. For the plug, you have to remove the boot trim to check.

I installed mine about 3 or 4 months ago and it is still working fine.

The trunk opener feels as good as the stock one.

When I had my android head unit, my camera was set to ahd and the picture was juste wonderful. 

I then installed a mib2 unit and had to set it to cvbs, the picture is not that good. It is ok but compared to the ahd it is like going from a 4k monitor to a CRT screen.

If you have the 11cm handle, go with the OEM camera € 88,75  5%OFF | FOR Skoda Octavia MK3 III Superb 3V B8 Rear View Trunk handle Camera with Highline Guidance Line Wiring harness 3V0 827 566 N
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EGkhTrF

More expensive but good picture.

If you have the 9cm like me then you are stuck with after market 

Thank you for the answer!