Check Starter System message

Smokeyjoe

On starting the car this morning there was a beep and a warning triangle on the display followed by 'Check Starter System'. The car had started ok and the message disappeared but the warning triangle remained. I stopped the car about 1 mile away and restarted to get the same thing again. Car drives OK. When I got home, I tried starting the engine again and this time all was well - no more warnings or beeps.

The car had not been used for about 3 days, but it was not sluggish turning over so don't think the battery is faulty. A quick Google shows a number of other VAG models have reported similar issues which pointed to the ignition switch. My car is coming up to 3 years old so do not want to have a problem out of warranty.

Anybody else had the same problem and found a common fix for it please?

Thanks

If you intend keeping the car after the warranty expires I would recomend taking out the  All in One Plan !

Had my door locks replaced, don't know how much it would have cost but I'm sure it would have been close to the 2 year cost of the plan and there was no hassle.

Will keep a watch on my car for ignition problems.

41 minutes ago, Gomezz said:

If you intend keeping the car after the warranty expires I would recomend taking out the  All in One Plan !

Good idea - thanks.

I have checked the battery and its a Varta EFB. Dealer suggests monitoring the possible problem over the next week or so and letting them know. They have not heard of this problem before.

Please bear in mind that it is not necessarily enough to switch off the engine and restart to clear faults. You have to give the car's system time to power down completely. I would suggest leaving it for at least a minute before trying a restart. I have tis on a car from a different manufacturer. If I park it on a slope nose up, the oil level sensor thinks that the car is short of oil and brings up a warning. When on level ground a quick restart does not clear the fault, a longer pause does.

30 minutes ago, Routemaster1461 said:

Please bear in mind that it is not necessarily enough to switch off the engine and restart to clear faults. You have to give the car's system time to power down completely. I would suggest leaving it for at least a minute before trying a restart.

Thanks -  I was in the doctors having a flu jab, so the car had been left for about 10 mins before the second start. After I got home, I left the car for several minutes while Googling the problem, and when I tried starting again the fault had disappeared. It might be that the battery was now more charged up than previously.