Actual boot volume in Karoq 4x4 2.0 TDI with space saver spare wheel

Psicho1986

Hi, so my Skoda Karoq Style 4X4 DSG with the 2.0TDI 150 PS engine got delivered last week. This weekend had a chance to go for a longer drive with the kids but I realized that actual boot space is a lot less than the car I had in test drive, a 1.5 TSI without 4x4. I’ve also have the simply cleaver package and received the nets to hold stuff down, but I don’t have access to the hooks since are below the false floor. What is the actual boot volume in this configuration since it most definetly not the 521l advertised? I am willing to give up on the spare wheel and buy runflat tyres, but what other trims and accesories do I need to lower the boot floor?

20221030_105952.jpg

20221030_105923.jpg

In UK advertised as 521 litres (standard seats) or 588 litres max with varioflex (which presumably means seats furthest forward)

There is also a note in optional equipment that 4x4 models get different temporary spare wheel

There is also a disclaimer at end of brochure that basically says advertised items apply to standard spec.  

Logically the advertised boot space doesn’t apply if you add the spare and raised floor, so selectively quoting parts of the brochure isn’t going to help you, if you want low boot floor, then can’t have spare too.

Unfortunately Skoda Romania and the local dealer from where I've bought the car is severely lacking in marketing materials and information. I've opened a previous topic with the missing ventilated glove box function, the dealer was clueless to this. Skoda Romania doesn't even have a Karoq section on it's website, all information are either from this forum or international websites. So now that the car is bought and in my possession I'm pleased with it overall, but are small details that I'm missing and try to fix them, like you said, the main issue is that my expectations weren't met in correlation to information provided to me. As a side note. my Karoq was in stock in a delivery storage location, not at the local dealer showroom, but delivery took about 3 weeks from decision to delivery, I haven't configured anything on the car. Since I'm willing to give up on the spare wheel, I have to buy winter tiers and I can buy runflat, but I can't identify what other trims and accessories I need to lower the boot floor - foam, plastic parts, different boot floor, etc.

You need the filler to smooth out the recess in the floor pan and the different sized boot floor mat. To complete the spec you would have had from factory you would need the puncture repair canister and air pump.

Where are you as I have retrofitted a spare wheel to my 4x4 and have these bits in my garage and only used for a few days. (Not the puncture repair kit as that is still in my car)

You would easily sell the spare wheel, tool, and jack and bits if you advertise it as cost over £250 or more to buy from Skoda afterwards. Once the spare is out there is nowhere to put these.

Expensive to get run flats if even available considering you have perfectly good new tyres now, just to get a minor increase in space?

I carry a tyre repair kit I bought for about£10. Never used it to date but it would allow you to do a “temporary “ repair to the most likely puncture from a nail or screw at the roadside. I of course still have the pump which came with my car but will be missing from yours with the spare in boot.

Run flat tyres might be ok if you are never far from home, civilization, tyres centres etc.  But distance travelled might not be far with one punctured.  Then similar with a Self sealing tyre that is actually wrecked and not self sealing.      Ps.  If you need to fill a boot so full with stuff with people in a car do you really want them in a car roadside waiting for roadside assistance during  poor weather, winter time, holiday times etc, maybe when tyre centres are closed.  

Edited by roottoot

I’m in Romania, so I was just looking for part no of the accesories, foam filler for the remaining gap, larger boot floor, and what I’ve noticed today, is that it also lacks the plastic trim for the seats hinge that is visible from the trunk (Not really that important)

Runflat are the best option since additional space in the boot is really important for me, I have two small kids and we travel with alot of lugage. The strange thing is that in Romania we have some of the worst roads in Europe, but in the last 16 years since I’ve got my licence I’ve only had a flat tyre once.

On 02/11/2022 at 19:24, Psicho1986 said:

I’m in Romania, so I was just looking for part no of the accesories, foam filler for the remaining gap, larger boot floor, and what I’ve noticed today, is that it also lacks the plastic trim for the seats hinge that is visible from the trunk (Not really that important)

Runflat are the best option since additional space in the boot is really important for me, I have two small kids and we travel with alot of lugage. The strange thing is that in Romania we have some of the worst roads in Europe, but in the last 16 years since I’ve got my licence I’ve only had a flat tyre once.

On 02/11/2022 at 19:24, Psicho1986 said:

check out https://www.karoqforums.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=568 it may help

• Love it! 1

Here’s my solution to carrying a full sized spare in our 4x4 Karoq.  Works for me, might not be for everyone.  👍

1F6628EB-EA83-4317-B3E2-04F474A70509.thumb.jpeg.ec086476e8d07e37a2fd20a36a691a16.jpeg

And it’s amazing how much “stuff” can be carried behind the wheel.  

51D20F2E-E6F7-4FB4-8E0F-838F3B8526C6.thumb.jpeg.c707ae2928ae1bdb538ae77ffd6bfd63.jpeg

No problem closing with the load cover in place.  The load cover does make contact with the wheel but closing the boot door holds it perfectly in place.   👍

I initially carried the spare in the “proper” place with the styrofoam fillers and some wood to support the sides of the floor but that wasted way too much space so tried the side mounting route and suits what we do much better.  

image.jpeg.b044ad5911c1cddf9db1c641db64df22.jpeg

With the type of long haul  journeys I do anything other than a full replacement wheel isn’t an option, if I have a puncture (and I’ve had a few over the years) I want to change the wheel, crack on to where I’m going then sort it out at my leisure once there.  And, from the numbers of cars I clocked on a long haul yesterday and today stuck at the side of the road with a puncture, that’s not a view I’ll change.  I know the risk is small but it’s the old risk vs consequences - minimum risk but total PITA consequences.  👍

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1