Cooling fan stuck on

nicka62

Our CitiGo (75hp 62 plate) had it's cooling fan running after turning off the ignition, after a short drive in cool weather.  Stopped eventually.  When we got home it carried on running and evidently didn't stop as this morning the battery was dead flat.

Tried jumpstarting off the other car, fan started running as soon as the jump leads were connected.

Battery totally dead (0V) and is only charging now I disconnected the battery.  Fan is evidently still in circuit.

I understand there's a cooling fan control unit ( not a simple relay) but I can't find it.

Garage job?  If I can get it there! Or something I can fix myself?

Control module mounted here if you have aircon. It may look slightly different to this image, as there are two versions, other one just has a single electrical connector facing the back of the car.

Screenshot 2022-11-05 18.50.24.png

• Like 1

yes it does ....

That location looks like a PITA to access and change.

I forced enough charge into the batterty to operate the central locking and lock the doors, the fan still running full beltas soon as I reconnected the battery.  Tried starting the engine; there wasn't enough battery to turn the engine, but the fan stopped!!  Now on charge withe the battery connected.

Edited by nicka62

• 2 months later...

Got it fixed .... though the garage could only do the fix with the aid of this forum!! 

They were convinced the fan controller was built into the fan/ motor assembly and were saying they'd need to replace the whole fan.  Untrue, as soon as they took the battery out they found the controller beneath it and that was a lot easier to replace.  Could maybe have done it myself for a lot less .. but I couldn't find the controler either!  The fan running on had finished off the battery, so had to have a new one of those too.

Car now works fine and with the new battery the engine stop/start system works again too.

Thanks to Briskoda!

• Like 3