Xtrons aftermarket headunit: PSA92MVTLS: perm live or switched & steering wheel controls not working

Hi all, 

I took the plunge and bought an Xtrons PSA92MVTLS andrond head unit to replace the cokumbus unit in my 2013 mk2 superb elegance and have a few questions if I may. 

I've fitted the unit but for the life of me I can't remember if the columbus had a perm live so it could be used with the ignition off. The Xtrons appears to be pre-wired in it's loom to allow this and I'm being paranoid in thinking it might cause battery drain. I do switch the unit off when exiting the car but it'll be my luck that the kids don't and I end up with a flat battery. 

Also steering wheel controls don't seem to be working so I presume I need to buy an interface/harness of some description. Can anyone recommend a suitable one please? My steering wheel has the scrolling volume control and fwd and bkwd buttons on the left hand side and the phone controls and MFD up/down buttons on the right hand side if it helps. I can upload a pic if required. 

Other than that, first impressions are quite good. The androind auto seems to fire up quite quickly and Waze/Google Maps etc seem to work well on it. As does Spotify come to think of it. 

Thanks in advance

It is possible to switch on the Columbus system without the ignition being switched on. I've had the radio on while parked and, after approx 30 min, a warning popped up on the screen - the radio will be switched off automatically to avoid a flat battery. It is possible to turn it back on again, but don't do it too often!

Hi, yes I'm pretty sure the Columbus could be powered on with thr ignition off, if needed but I never used this. Also it never repeatedly tried to connect to my phone even hours after being parked. I had to switch Bluetooth on my phone to off to stop getting the prompts to pair 

Hi. I hope i dont need to start a new post for this.

I have a bit of a reverse problem.

Skoda Superb 2009 mk2 with Bolero and "sound system"

Bought Xtrons also. And as i have the "sound system", i had to buy additional adapter

for the xtrons. Link below. Now, it works fine, when i turn the ignition on and everything.

Problem is, i want it to continue playing, when i turn the ignition off (but leave the key inside), as it did with Bolero.

Instead the speakers turn off after 5sec but xtrons continues to work. The only way, i can continue listening music, is if

the emergency blinking lights (sry bad english) are switched on.

Please help, any ideas?

https://shop.acvgmbh.de/de/aktivsystemadapter-seat-skodavw-lose-kabelcan-bus--281.html?sid=dc0b3ff40f973662c092f25f3f0c72f7&__cookieAction=1

• Like 1

UPDATE: I have found some fixes and so this thread might be useful to others in the future. 

So for the persistent power supply and resulting persistent bluetooth connection issue: there is a small black connector as part of the canbus box which has an orange and red wire attached. This needs to be disconnected to stop this issue. You can check this by the unit powering down the second the car door is opened. 

Steering wheel controls become active once the car is running, not when it's off but with the ignition on. No coding required or additional modules, the Xtrons works with the car from factory. I have noticed one quirk though: when selecting the next track from the steering wheel it skips 2 tracks instead of 1. 

Screen being too bright at night: You need to wire the illum wire from the back of the unit to the orange wire from the quadlock harness. In the image attached which I got from Xtrons support you can see the illum wire as number (11) and the orange quadlock wire is A14. if this doesn't work then as a backup option you can download a free app named "Night Screen" onto the headunit itself and it provides a master brightness control which is really simple to use. I'm probably going to keep the app installed just in case I need it extra bright in summer/ direct sunlight. 

Bypass the video/handbrake lock: I'll leave you to decide whether you want to do this or not, entirely at your risk. On this unit you connect/splice wire number 5 (brake-in) into the ground wire number A12. There is also a setting under car infotainment>video: disable video in motion: set this to off.

I think that's all the info so use with caution if you're reading this but the above worked on my 2013 Mk2 Superb which previously had a Columbus unit fitted. 

PSA92MTVLS_29.jpg

VW.jpg

Edited by Lord_Lucan