Skoda Yeti Throttle position sensor questions!

Jonnys19882

Good evening all! 
I currently own 2 yetis, the first a 2014 2.0tdi 170 and the second a 2012 2.0tdi 110.

The 2014 yeti is so good we decided to replace our other family car with the 2012.

However I brought the 2012 car privately and on the way home the eml came on (I was not amused) after taking it to the local dealer they diagnosed a throttle position sensor that they then fitted.

The car seems to be driving fine, as it was before, but it seems to shut off rather harshly when you turn the car off. It did this before and I’m wondering if it’s the throttle body itself needing cleaning. The car has has a remap by a very good local turner (the same on that has also remapped my other yeti) about six months ago.

My question is do you think the throttle position sensor will have sorted the eml light for good or will it raise its head again if the throttle body isn’t cleaned?

sorry for the long question.

cheers

Yes the shuddering at shut down is caused by clag build up on the throttle body from the pretty much constant EGR operation, if you are lucky it will just be sticky and not able to fully close, if you are unlucky it will have stripped its teeth.

Declagging the intake tract usually results in excellent power and economy gains, while you are doing it you can reverse the orientation of the EGR inlet stub to reduce the future clagging.

• Like 1

Yes I agree, i always get paranoid when I have a new car for a few weeks until I get used to it. Everything else seems good with thought apart from a little noise when you’re in too high a gear at lower speed. I’m not sure what that could be, might even be related.

Hi Jonnys

The throttle body's primary job is to control the pressure in the inlet manifold under certain operating conditions to encourage the flow of recirculated gas via the EGR system. 

As a secondary job the flap is closed completely to cut off the air supply during engine switch off, i.e. it acts as an "anti shudder" valve.  As J.R. notes, if the flap can't or won't close completely this function won't work properly. This might be because it is gummed up and physically can't shut, or it might be because the position sensor is/was faulty and it is saying it's shut even though it isn't.

• Like 3