1.2tsi CBZA CBZB Ignition leads - OEM vs aftermarket.

ca6

I'm aware that the leads has been discussed before but I'm still asking this question.

In 2019 I bought a second (well fourth) hand Roomster 2011 1.2tsi to have as a winter car. When I got it, I replaced the ignition leads at the same time as I replaced the spark plugs since I was aware that this engine wears out ignition leads.

I bought NGK plugs and NGK leads, and since i got it the car has been driven 20000km. This week the NGK leads gave up (misfire on 1st cylinder according to OBD reader, yellow check engine light, EPC light and traction control light,) Luckily I still had the old leads and swithced back, and the issue went away. 

I'm not sure if the old leads were OEM, but they had more markings than the NGK leads. According to Skoda-parts.com, the OEM/Genuine part costs three times the cost of the NGK, but I'm not sure what differs between them.

Anyone knows the difference between thirdparty and OEM?

When I owned a Roomster 1.2 CBZB, a couple thousands of kilometres after had spark plugs changed at a dealership, happened the same to me. The car was on its original leads. 

Then I bought a set of BERU leads and a new set of NGK spark plugs  and never had such an issue again until I sold the car about 100.000km later. Of course I did change the sparkplugs again after 60.000km. 

I am still thinking that the issue came up due to loose spark plug, not correctly tightened by the mechanic. 

On 12/11/2022 at 10:57, stratosg said:

I am still thinking that the issue came up due to loose spark plug, not correctly tightened by the mechanic. 

It seems quite common that the lead for cylinder #3 goes bad because it's very close to the exhaust manifold on these particular engines.

My mum has also needed to get her leads replaced on her CBZB-engined Ibiza.