Rear axle corrosion

Morning folks 

My mechanic commented to me that the underside of my 06 estate was pretty rusty.... Had a look and the rear axle looks pretty crusty! 

Whilst I will wire brush it and treat it I wondered if anyone knew whether a new replacement can be obtained or whether I would need secondhand? 

Otherwise much of the rear floor pan is covered by plastic panels so not sure what it will look like underneath....

Will try some lanoguard and inject it wherever I can as I'd like to get as long as possible out of the car. 

Screenshot_20221114-103450_Photos.jpg

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Martini06 said:

Miner's the same. Looking for a replacement, as apparently screws are seized so 4 wheel alignment cannot be done and it drives like crap.. 😕

Looking online I think it's the same as the golf etc so plenty around on eBay. 

I used lanoguard on mine- all came up v well so hopefully will halt the corrosion . Injected all the sills too. Can't the screws be replaced? Where are they as can't imagine they are on the subframe itself?

14 hours ago, SussexTrek said:

Looking online I think it's the same as the golf etc so plenty around on eBay. 

I used lanoguard on mine- all came up v well so hopefully will halt the corrosion . Injected all the sills too. Can't the screws be replaced? Where are they as can't imagine they are on the subframe itself?

Apparently it's the top bolts seized onto the bushes, been trying to find a picture. I know where they are just can't explain sorry, 🤣 Someone on here said they had just their arms and bushes replaced, perhaps it'll save me from replacing the whole axle beam but not sure as the garage said they would need it all out 😩

I do need rear dampers ASAP so it was to see i could get both done at the same time as I assume dampers will Need removed for that job. 

Also not sure about the axle beam replacement - found some that look like mine from the octy, found some that are supposed to fit a golf and the OEM number is compatible but it looks different to mine, so not sure 🤔

If I wanted to replace just the bushes, do I need to remove the subframe?? Been hearing different opinions 😅 that might as well save me the hassle and I'll worry about the axle next year..