Sound Upgrade

Marci1229

1 hour ago, Marci1229 said:

I understand that, but unfortunately they can now assume that the problem is caused by the 4 speakers. This is not about just an engine failure.

No, they cannot. Drawing a parallel to computers, that would be similar to denying warranty on the graphics card because it broke while your CPU was overclocked. 

Edited by Jorgeminator

On 02/12/2022 at 13:40, Jorgeminator said:

No, they cannot. Drawing a parallel to computers, that would be similar to denying warranty on the graphics card because it broke while your CPU was overclocked. 

I really don't know how does this works.

• 2 months later...

I've never read so much junk in all my life; - replacing the speakers cannot be "detected" without physically opening up the door and checking! This type of nonsense is typical of dealership service advisors, who in reality, know SFA about cars anyway, and is completely unnecessary scaremongering and anybody with an ounce of technical nouse would laugh at whoever came out with that little gem! 

I probably wouldn't replace 4ohm drivers with 2ohm, but then again, I don't know of many 2ohm drivers either, so that's a moot point anyway. The reason you shouldn't change impedance is purely to avoid additional extra load on the output stage of the amplifier module, however most aftermarket speakers are 4ohm anyway so that's fine.

As for this invalidating your warranty - I'd love to see that stand up in a court of law. What utter tosh; if you uprate the brakes, that does not invalidate the warranty on your seat heaters! 

Edited by wardth
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 02/12/2022 at 13:28, Marci1229 said:

I talked to one of the people and he said that unfortunately I can't install the speakers you recommended because it would void the warranty.

You can tap the wires before the plastic connectors, solder new ones there to connect the new speakers and enjoy. The wires are wrapped in black soft cloth tape - unwind it, tap there, rewind. If issue that requires warranty - remove speakers, remove wire and re-wrap and reinstall original equipment - the original nuts are easy to get.

Technically I agree with wardth but my dealer also said replacing speakers would void the warranty of the infotainment (not the whole car) and audio stuff. I know some have been using this blackmail putting the whole car on the table - if you bring that to court they`d have a very sweaty session and will pay the court fees when all their claims have been disqualified.

Edited by MP1983