Loud sound coming from speakers while turning on ignition.

nikanderos

Hello,

I have a Skoda Karoq -18 with the Canton sound system fitted in it (if it makes a difference).

I started noticing that randomly when i press the ignitionbutton to turn on the car, the speakers/sound system releases a loud sound from the speakers which resembles the sound coming from when touching two sound cables to each other on older speaker systems.

And let me say, the sound is LOUD. Almost sounds like the speakers are blowing up. And I am quite worried when I have a little baby coming up that the baby is going to have it's eardrums blown up because of this. 

I still have the Das Welt Auto-warranty left on it from when I bought the car, so I have left it to a Skoda repair-shop. They have searched for error codes and they have done 2 updates of some sort. I picked the car up this friday and the shop said "Try driving the car during the weekend to see if the sound comes back again". I sat down in my car and turned on the ignition and it was back again. I'm leaving the car back to the shop after the holidays.

I have also noticed that whenever I turn on the fuel-heater(?) and it has been left on for 30 minutes, the loud sound WILL come back more regurarly rather than randomly. 

But, is there anyone here who has experienced the same kind of issue? I bet that it's not just related to Skoda Karoq. Did you get it fixed and what was the issue?

I love the car, but this issue is driving me insane since I am almost getting a heartattack everytime I sit down in the car and turn on the ignition. 

All the help and info is appreciated.

best regards

3 hours ago, Sanqhar said:

Does it still happen when you press the Start button without starting the car i.e. press the start button without your foot on the brake?

tom

1 minute ago, nikanderos said:

Can't guarantee it, but I think I have tried that as well and it still happened. 

The thing is, is that it is quite hard to find some kind of connection to something else because it happens so randomly. 

Except for when I have started the fuel-heater and had let it run for about 30 minutes. Then it happened 2 days in a row. 

11 hours ago, nikanderos said:

I have a Skoda Karoq -18 with the Canton sound system fitted in it (if it makes a difference).

I started noticing that randomly when i press the ignitionbutton to turn on the car, the speakers/sound system releases a loud sound from the speakers which resembles the sound coming from when touching two sound cables to each other on older speaker systems.

And let me say, the sound is LOUD. Almost sounds like the speakers are blowing up

I'd advise you to check all the connections to the amplifier. If it's not an external connection then my guess is it's either something within the amp or an earthing issue with the amp ( or in general with the car - there aren't any other weird / spooky things that have happened recently is there? No unexpected warning lights or anything like that? )

If it's under warranty then it's a trip to the dealership. 

Edited by kodiaqsportline

21 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

I'd advise you to check all the connections to the amplifier. If it's not an external connection then my guess is it's either something within the amp or an earthing issue with the amp ( or in general with the car - there aren't any other weird / spooky things that have happened recently is there? No unexpected warning lights or anything like that? )

If it's under warranty then it's a trip to the dealership. 

That's what I've tried telling the shop, but they claim that it is some sort of update issue, but since they've done 2 updates already, it clearly isn't the problem. 

Let's see when I turn the car back into the shop if they can solve it, otherwise I don't know what to do. 

If I were in your situation here in the UK and they couldn't fix it, I'd be informing them that I'm taking the car to an audio electrician to resolve and if they successfully fix it, will be asking Skoda / garage / warranty for a full refund.

If they believe it's software rather than hardware related then the only thing I can think of is they'll be altering the timing of the amplifier's startup routine. But if your car is 2018 and this issue has only just surfaced then...    I agree, it doesn't sound like a software issue. Replacing the amp with another would be a simple way of knowing if the problem was with the amp itself. ( IMO the most likely cause ). 

It could be a known problem within the VW Group but I'm certainly not aware of it.

You're not aware of anything happening recently - is there anyway say a connection from the control unit to the amp may have been disturbed - something like the glovebox had been removed for some reason?  

Edited by kodiaqsportline

12 minutes ago, kodiaqsportline said:

It could be a known problem within the VW Group but I'm certainly not aware of it.

You're not aware of anything happening recently - is there anyway say a connection from the control unit to the amp may have been disturbed - something like the glovebox had been removed for some reason?  

They've sent something to VW in Germany to see if they have some kind of solution to this. 

I'm not aware of anything like that, I bought the car in April this year and the problem started around June/July. The only thing I have noticed from time to time is that the buttons to rolling down the windows are unresponsive sometimes, along with the button to adjusting the side mirrors. 

I'd suspect this is an amplifier fault.  Normally part of the internal cuircit mutes the output whilst things are power up and that doesn't sound to be happening.  That's my experience from home audio anyway.

On 27/12/2022 at 12:12, Dappernut said:

I'd suspect this is an amplifier fault.  Normally part of the internal cuircit mutes the output whilst things are power up and that doesn't sound to be happening.  That's my experience from home audio anyway.

Thanks, I've gotten the same reply from many others on this matter that it might be the amplifier, so I'm going to tell the shop when I'm returning it that they should do something to the amplifier. 

• 1 month later...

So I sent the car back to the dealership from where I bought the car. 

They took me more seriously on this matter and immediatly changed the amplifier and made a few tests. 

But the loud popping noise is still there, and it is still hard to say when it will happen except for when the fuel-heater has been on for about 20-30 minutes. 

Am I the first person to experience this? 

I am strongly suggesting to turn the car back to the dealership and get all of my money back. 

Strangely this has just started happening on my 30 year old Toyota  -either a banging when starting the car or switching it off or a regular rhythmic banging when driving with no way of judging which is going to happen. I'm assuming it's something to do with the amplifier but would be interested in what you find out. Naturally I don't have any software or similar! And mine is loud as well.

• 11 months later...

It seems to be an older topic, but i will try my luck. I bought a 2020 Kodiaq (with the Canton system) and when the weather got colder it started to do the same thing. Loud noise from the speakers on startup. And it also seems to be related with the auxiliary heater.  Were you able to find and fix the problem?

15 minutes ago, Randpiv said:

It seems to be an older topic, but i will try my luck. I bought a 2020 Kodiaq (with the Canton system) and when the weather got colder it started to do the same thing. Loud noise from the speakers on startup. And it also seems to be related with the auxiliary heater.  Were you able to find and fix the problem?

It was some sort of shorting-fault with the amplifier. 

But before it was fixed I had already returned the car to the dealer and got my money back.