KESSY - Intermittent starting problems

Hi,

I hope some kind soul can advise on this issue.

We own a 2015 Fabia 1.2 TSI (110) which has recently clocked 40,000 miles. Generally the car has been trouble free.

Within the past month or so, the car will not start by use of the Stop/Start button. Likewise it sometimes needs more than  one press to switch the engine off.

The car battery is good and healthy and I have also changed the battery (CR2025) in the key fob.

On some days it will start with no problems and on others I am sat in the car waiting several minutes and numerous attempts to fire the engine.

My guess is that the KESSY ignition cartridge may be on it's way out and will need replacement. If so is anyone able to offer the Skoda Part Number and an approximate cost for the part itself.

Many thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...

I am experiencing the same problem with a Karoq and I have been told that the technicians will run a 'fault memory check' on arrival for its service next month and take it from there.  I have little confidence in this.  An earlier  intermittent and very irritating fault with my wing mirror adjustment never showed any fault checked in this way.  When the wing mirrors went completely haywire after about two years, it prove to be a faulty switch on the drivers door which would never show up on 'fault memory checks'. This makes me think that pad567 may well be correct in pointing to the starter button as the cause of the intermittent starting and stopping problem and I will be investigating this. 

Just as an update and no doubt only a temporary reprieve from having to bite the bullet and either dismantle to clean or replace the stop/start cartridge itself, I have noticed over the past two weeks that the car now starts first time but only if I place my finger right at the bottom of the button (Directly below the word 'Stop'.)

Presumably the connectors at that point are less worn than in the centre of the button.

• Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

Sadly the problem same problem returned (Worse than ever) and I decided to replace the start/stop switch with a brand new mechanism.

The car now starts each and every time with the slightest of pressure on the button and likewise for switching off the engine.

So definitely a  failing part should anyone else experience the same type of problem.

I did consider the option of dismantling the switch button mechanism to clean etc and as suggested in an earlier post but in the end just went for a new part.

Some peace of mind returns to Skoda ownership !!

• Thanks 1