Why I like working in Exmouth. 56k warning.

devonutopia

Big pics again as I forgot to turn down the resolution AGAIN! :rolleyes: I work in Exmouth and this is why I like it here - Came out the office at lunch to get some pics. Here they are:

This is my office building on the end, and going down the side there.

DSCN0219.JPG

Turn through 40 degrees...bloody tourist camper van. :rolleyes: Love 'em really. :thumbup:

DSCN0220.JPG

Turn a bit more - looking down toward the harbour and up the river Exe estuary

DSCN0221.JPG

Bit more round and looking to Dawlish warren (1 mile from my house.... 17 mile commute. :rofl: )

DSCN0222.JPG

And finally back turned to the office and looking out down the Dawlish coast, in the direction of Torbay. :cool: With luck I'll get some "better" pics for the guys tomorrow. ;)

DSCN0223.JPG

Serious(ish) suggestion

Would it not be cheaper to get a little boat for commuting?

People I work with at Warton (on the Lancashire Fylde coast) live in Southport (merseyside area) and they have a similar problem - 4 miles away across the water but a 30-40 mile drive each day on the roads.

Read thread title and was expecting pics of scantily clad tourist laydeees. Most upset:lol:

Note my point above the last pic. ;) Getting a boat has been thought about - I quite fancied getting a jetski and wearing my work gear under a fully sealed wetsuit. :rofl: Trouble is the costs of mooring on both sides of the river, plus issue with changing tides, its easier and less hassle to drive. 17 miles @ 50mpg only equates to about £1.50 on diesel, plus I have a vehicle to get around when at work.

Would like a little boat for fishing in the summer though. Little 15 foot affair with a small cabin and a sweet 50hp outboard. Thought about this too much? Nooooo.

Guest Fabia 12v
House in Twickenham? Sell it and retire to Devon on the money!

I wish... but its parents house and at 18 i'm a little young to retire!!!! Nice thoughts anyway, and from November i'll be living/working in Dundee, but still.... its now i'm stuck in London :mad:

Well I'm a bit annoyed about all this ;) There's devonutopia with that (those views) outside his office, a mere 17 mile drive without excessive queueing traffic I reckon, and then there's texasjohn trying to make it easier for you Jason by doing a 3-4 mile boat ride into work.

Is there no compassion for the rest of us? :mecry:

That aside, I truly hope all is well in your new career and hope it won't be too long before you get your 15 footer, oh, and a couple of oars...;)

:thumbup:

Mo

Exmouth is really loverly. Unlike other sea side villages it is not the sort if place that you feel you need to put your watch back 50 years after entering.

I live 8 miles away from it and it is really nice to be able to go down on weekends.

I had to go there to deliver a car or something and I got so TOTALLY lost down a stupidly narrow road near the police station I though I was going to be there for ever.

Been out for a drive again today, as the weather is corking yet again. A few scantily clad ladies but no way to get decent photos without the muther of all zoom lens' :rolleyes:

Plus its a bit windy which is taking the edge off the warm sun. :)

Been out for a drive again today' date=' as the weather is corking yet again. A few scantily clad ladies but no way to get decent photos without the muther of all zoom lens' :rolleyes:

Plus its a bit windy which is taking the edge off the warm sun. :)[/quote']

If there's a cold chill to the air then you may see some peanut smugglers about :D

Could you please attatch a zoom lens to the camera for the next set of piccys you post. My Mother-In-Law lives in Starcross, and I'd like to keep an eye on the old w*tch!

On the subject of the commute, you could

a) catch the ferry

b)paddle (it's not very deep accross the sand-banks)

c)call out the lifeboat and have half a dozen beefy men carry you accross

... c) call out the lifeboat and have half a dozen beefy men carry you accross...

:faint: Where did someone say it was? Rushes to my 1.4 8V to get there before devonutopia does...

OK, no point, but at least I can faint at the thought :D

:P

Mo

Could you please attatch a zoom lens to the camera for the next set of piccys you post. My Mother-In-Law lives in Starcross' date=' and I'd like to keep an eye on the old w*tch!

On the subject of the commute, you could

a) catch the ferry

b)paddle (it's not very deep accross the sand-banks)

c)call out the lifeboat and have half a dozen beefy men carry you accross[/quote']

a) bad times for commute - first one out of starcross is 10am. :(

B) sounds nasty to me - sludgey sand and the river flows FAST on the tides. :eek:

c) Ahem, not that way inclined. :P :P Leave them for Mo. :D

Happy to keep an eye on the in-laws though. :D I live about half a mile out of Starcross. ;)

I just thought you should be aware, that there used to be an annual competition to SWIM from Starcross to Exmouth! My father-in-law (now aged 80!) used to be a regular contestant.

Must have been a good thing, as he married a woman that was 26 years younger than him! (and I bet there's still life in the old dog.... when he's given half a chance!) :cool:

You could try that!

Note my point above the last pic. ;) Getting a boat has been thought about - I quite fancied getting a jetski and wearing my work gear under a fully sealed wetsuit. :rofl: Trouble is the costs of mooring on both sides of the river' date=' plus issue with changing tides, its easier and less hassle to drive. 17 miles @ 50mpg only equates to about £1.50 on diesel, plus I have a vehicle to get around when at work.

Would like a little boat for fishing in the summer though. Little 15 foot affair with a small cabin and a sweet 50hp outboard. Thought about this too much? Nooooo.[/quote']

Why not get a cheap Hilux pickup and stick a huge outboard on the back !!!

Note my point above the last pic. ;) Getting a boat has been thought about - I quite fancied getting a jetski and wearing my work gear under a fully sealed wetsuit. :rofl: Trouble is the costs of mooring on both sides of the river' date=' plus issue with changing tides, its easier and less hassle to drive. 17 miles @ 50mpg only equates to about £1.50 on diesel, plus I have a vehicle to get around when at work.

Would like a little boat for fishing in the summer though. Little 15 foot affair with a small cabin and a sweet 50hp outboard. Thought about this too much? Nooooo.[/quote']

How about getting an inflatible dinghy, a foot pump, a ruck sack, and a mini-moto bike for getting around on? It would solve the mooring fees!

Can a mini-moto run on LPG? ;)

Exmouth is really loverly. Unlike other sea side villages it is not the sort if place that you feel you need to put your watch back 50 years after entering.

I live 8 miles away from it and it is really nice to be able to go down on weekends.

I had to go there to deliver a car or something and I got so TOTALLY lost down a stupidly narrow road near the police station I though I was going to be there for ever.

I like Exmouth too, and go there quite often, but I live a bit further away than you two. Emily, isn't Sidmouth one of the retirement capitals of Devon?

I am utterly jealous of Jason working with those kind of views. Bet he goes cruisin on the seafront in his lunch break!:D

All the Best

Chris

I am very new to the Exeter area having spent the first 19 years of my life in Plymouth, and only moving to Aylesbeare in the last 3 months.

Jason is very lucky to work some where with such nice views, but I do not fancy the commute (I have to do it in the other direction and it is not good). The Peugeot dealer here is located between the local tip and a sheepskin factory that gets deliveries of absolutly humming sheep bodies for cleaning up. And that REALLY smells!

I'd go cruising this lunchtime if the rain were't coming down. :thumbdwn: Whats up with this weather. I'm stereotypically playing golf after work with some colleagues (essential part of being an accountant ;)) so I hope it dries up. :)

The 17 mile commute is a doddle and on most days even with getting snarled up on the exeter ring road, I can usually do it in a leisurely 30 minutes, sometimes 35. They're building a £2 million cycle path from Dawlish to Exmouth at the moment ETA Feb 2007. Will be making use of that when its ready. :cool: