Electric tailgate issues

Hi all hope someone can help out here. I've got a 2015 vrs estate with a electric tailgate. Before Christmas it started to beep but fully raise. Now it only lifts about 10inch then bleeps and  I have to manually lift it. I've searched on here and it could be 1 of 3 things rams, bcm or catch. I think it is the rams as they are a bit wet, but is there anyway to test if it is the other 2? Thanks for any help 

Happens to me occasionally. Have you tried closing it (using the button) then opening it again? I had mine replaced under warranty as they occasionally juddered when opening in addition to stopping half way up. The replacements are now starting to act up. In hindsight I am not sure I would have an electric tailgate or a panoramic roof on a car I was planning to keep beyond the warranty period.  

Yeah tried all the quick fixes but to no avail. I think I will just have to start with rams first. I have a vw t6 with electric doors and I hate them more than the tailgate on the skud. There is just more to go wrong and more expensive to fix.

• Like 1

Its hard to say without plugging the car into a diagnostic tool and either checking for fault codes or live data.

Where are you located, it could help if someone has vcds near you to scan the car.

If you dont have a tool youll need to take it to a garage or a member with vcds. 

• 4 weeks later...

I have the same issue, it opens only 5 inches and beeps. I took the car for analysis to dealer and they say the the truts have shorted. So must be moisture getting in them causing havoc.

Did some searching on youtube and found diy instructions to fix these, but that's too much for me... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sbv1_TPCgtw

Did some more searching and found these, does anyone have experience with these non-oem parts, they're quite a lot cheaper than originals: https://deffner.pl/silowniki-klapy-elektrycznej-skoda-octavia-3-gen-kombi-komplet-lewy-prawy/?v=f0aa03aaca95

These seem to be quite simple to install: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toYYxcLvA6w

• 1 year later...

hi Tim, having the same problem and thinking about ordering the Deffner Actuators. Did you end up buying them in the end and what is your experience?

Edited by Tacoo