Android head unit trouble

Hello everyone,

Before you reply, I must say that I think that I have read every or almost every topic and every post of it about replacing the head units on the mk2's, wich is why I'm am going to try to give and explain the most information possible so that you can understand why I created another one of these hundreds of posts related to this theme.

So, my Octy, from stock, has an Audience MP3 radio with AUX entry and Sound system speakers with the amp under the driver (passenger for UK I think ?) seat.

I decided I wanted a radio capable of android auto or at least bluetooth and USB plug, so after some research, I got myself an android head unit from aliexpress. Honestly the head unit itself is amazing, works perfectly and is quite fast.

The problem is that when plugged, it won't turn off when ignition key is removed. (yeah I know, same problem as almost every guy who did this)

So after reading lots of info here and some other places, I tried pulling a on-key 12V feed with a piggyback fuse. Almost worked, but since the second constant live feed was still plugged, it still drained the battery.

So I plugged both feeds from the piggyback fuse. With that, radio would shutdown, but I lost the sound, because the amp wouldn't get the activation signal.

That said, I said to myself that it would be easier to code a new gateway. I replaced my K version gateway to a L version. After that, I had it working for a few tries turning ignition on and off but as soon as I got engine running and turned it off, the radio wouldn't shut off with key anymore.

I tried 2 kinds of quadlock-to-radio looms: a chinese specific with skoda/vw canbus decoder, wich gave me some informations like open doors, engine temp etc on the radio and a loom from RTA specific for sound system activation wich won't give me infos like the first one, but worked the few tries I mentioned before. Both activate the sound system if it matters.

What am I missing here ? Is there any coding asides from the gateway needed to be done ? Is it the cables and I have to pay the gold price for Connects2 ? Should I lit the car on fire ?

I really hope that someone can help me, because I'm starting to be kind of desperate 😅 oh and suggestions like getting a RNS or any other expensive OEM head units won't be useful, the car is starting to rust in some places due to the salt on the roads during winter, so I won't be keeping it much longer (maybe a couple more years if it passes MOT).

Looking forward to hear from you

323566801_1814393682269021_1929534791928919499_n.jpg

325989214_1844859699208061_2236208946796451949_n.jpg

325786103_1801381490236785_6600827153331512441_n.jpg

324902532_1243462453183689_2458462887954391239_n.jpg

Is what you percieve to be your problem that when you turn the ignition off the radio screen is still illuminated?

If that is the case then it's not a problem per sé, I'm pretty sure mine does that and its very handy for making settings on the satnav etc or listening to the radio while you wait at a destination for someone or if you have arrived early for something.

I think mine goes off when I remove the key, it's too wet here to o out and check.

As long as it went off when I locked the car I would not be concerned, even if it remained on for 20 minutes shutting down when the rest of the canbus did but that might result in some anxiety.

Does the Can network shut down after 10 or 20 minutes from locking the car or is the battery discharging overnight

Just now, J.R. said:

Is what you percieve to be your problem that when you turn the ignition off the radio screen is still illuminated?

If that is the case then it's not a problem per sé, I'm pretty sure mine does that and its very handy for making settings on the satnav etc or listening to the radio while you wait at a destination for someone or if you have arrived early for something.

I think mine goes off when I remove the key, it's too wet here to o out and check.

As long as it went off when I locked the car I would not be concerned, even if it remained on for 20 minutes shutting down when the rest of the canbus did but that might result in some anxiety.

Does the Can network shut down after 10 or 20 minutes from locking the car or is the battery discharging overnight

The screen stays on even with key removed. I have not tried leaving it overnight to test if it drains battery because I already had dead battery several times since I'm trying to install this radio and it's kind of boring when you have to go to work and have no car.

The thing that bugs me the most is that I had it working until I start the engine, after that it stopped turning off with the key removed.

Update on this:

Today I was able to make it work with the key-on key-off unplugging the little plug with red and orange wires in it.

But once I started the engine, there was no more sound. Only got sound back when plugged the other cables that won't work with key or the stock HU.

I do know it's because the DSP doesn't get activated, now I need to find how to make the DSP power on with these cables.

325060459_513751094246599_5205115561425288808_n.jpg

The signal for the amp is sent via CAN-BUS I believe.

Is there anything in the settings on the stereo.

My Android stereo has a hidden menu with loads of settings in it relating to CAN-BUS and I'm pretty sure I saw something about sound system in there.

• 2 months later...
On 23/01/2023 at 20:22, Phil-E said:

The signal for the amp is sent via CAN-BUS I believe.

Is there anything in the settings on the stereo.

My Android stereo has a hidden menu with loads of settings in it relating to CAN-BUS and I'm pretty sure I saw something about sound system in there.

Some units have to have the CANBUS connected (mine certainly does) despite having no CANBUS fitted (Octavia II Estate 2011). I fitted one unit no trouble and now this one (Xtrons PE81MTv) won't turn off