Where to source reliable MAF for 53 plate Octavia 1.8t 4x4

Hi all. I need to replace the MAF on my Octavia mk1. Can anyone please tell me where I can order a Bosch one from? Maybe provide a part number or link?

I’m not very mechanically minded;  From what I see online the images show a cylindrical kind of unit which the sensor sticks out the top of. I think I only need the sensor bit, not the cylindrical part. Do I have to buy it all? Thanks in advance. 

Edited by Troubled

• Troubled changed the title to Where to source reliable MAF for 53 plate Octavia 1.8t 4x4

Ok. That’s really helpful.  I’ve just dug out my V5 and see that the engine number starts and ends with ARX. Presume that’s right? As for the current MAF, I think it’s after market/cheap stuff so will the part number on that potentially be different?

Edit - has anyone had any experience of using this site?:

https://www.123spareparts.co.uk/oem-number/06a906461l?brand[]=30

also, I don’t understand what the differences are between the three results. 

Edited by Troubled

36 minutes ago, Troubled said:

I’ve just dug out my V5 and see that the engine number starts and ends with ARX. Presume that’s right?

Yes that means the part number I put up should be the OE number (original equipment)

I think that site ships from Germany, so makes returns a little trickier IIRC, and the difference between the top and bottom make no sense to me, middle is a refurb part.  The only possible reason for top/bottom difference I can think of, is the top cheaper is an exchange part where you have to send back old.

06A 906 461 L

06A 906 461 LX = Where the X on the end is for exchange (this part might not exist, but that's how VAG name those parts.

I would recommend you scour eBay a little more and see if you can get a part off there, ask seller question if the part number is not clear on the images.

• Thanks 1

Thanks again. I’m much further forward than I would be without your help. Ideally I would like to buy new but that’s looking unlikely. And the reviews for any site that claims to offer new parts seem to be awful. Thanks again for your help. 

Edit - this looks like it might be a go-er!:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304299853582?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=0P1hE5MfSD6&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=5LQyeanpSwi&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by Troubled

Got mine from here last November.. (for the Mk1 vRS, AUQ engine)

Parts in Motion | Quality Car Parts | Free UK Delivery

Part number was (still is?) 0280218340

They will check compatibility. And it's not an exchange unit like most are these days either.

Edited by Evil
  • Thanks 1

On 07/02/2023 at 22:13, Evil said:

Got mine from here last November.. (for the Mk1 vRS, AUQ engine)

Parts in Motion | Quality Car Parts | Free UK Delivery

Part number was (still is?) 0280218340

They will check compatibility. And it's not an exchange unit like most are these days either.

Direct link for OP:

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-parts/ecu/switches-and-sensors/air-mass-sensor/bosch-air-mass-sensor-0280218340-detail

Price looks good. I think I paid about £60 on exchange basis from a dealer 10 or 11 years ago.

• Thanks 1

On 07/02/2023 at 15:35, varooom said:

Yes on paper that seems like the correct part, they are about £3xx something from main dealers (they do love a good markup).

Don’t they just! My local VW garage quoted me £402.68 to source and fit! They told me the VAG warehouse only has 4 of them in stock. 

• Sad 1

31 minutes ago, petrolbloke said:

Direct link for OP:

https://www.partsinmotion.co.uk/car-parts/ecu/switches-and-sensors/air-mass-sensor/bosch-air-mass-sensor-0280218340-detail

Price looks good. I think I paid about £60 on exchange basis from a dealer 10 or 11 years ago.

That is a good price. Many thanks for the link. Will try that if the part I’ve ordered turns out to be carp. 

1 hour ago, Troubled said:

Don’t they just! My local VW garage quoted me £402.68 to source and fit! They told me the VAG warehouse only has 4 of them in stock. 

Shocked Cartoon GIF by Disney

That is crazy pricing. It's a very straightforward job to replace so definitely worth DIYing or taking the part you've bought to a tame local mechanic if you're really not confident fitting it. Good luck :)

3 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

/cdn-cgi/mirage/16db53f124b65c54dd52cc7f4ccd8d038314a2a90bef88bfacd2e4ed0d883388/1280/https://media1.giphy.com/media/zq40pTVoz98Gc/200.gif

That is crazy pricing. It's a very straightforward job to replace so definitely worth DIYing or taking the part you've bought to a tame local mechanic if you're really not confident fitting it. Good luck /cdn-cgi/mirage/16db53f124b65c54dd52cc7f4ccd8d038314a2a90bef88bfacd2e4ed0d883388/1280/https://www.briskoda.net/forums/uploads/emoticons/emoticon-0100-smile.gif

Well well well. It arrived today and I only went and changed it myself didn’t I?!

This is coming from a guy who barely knows how to use a screwdriver!

I’ve no way of knowing whether the part is genuine or not, but the car is running beautifully for the first time in ages. It’s been a long long time since I’ve seen anything close to +35mpg on the trip computer. 
Thank you all so much for your help. Hopefully the part is a goodun and it keeps me going for a while. 
I forgot to take a picture of the part before I fitted it but it doesn’t look the same as the old one - the writing is different. Anyway, we’ll see how I get on. 

Edit - I put in the code on the seal into the Bosch website and it says it’s a genuine part. Winner?!

Edited by Troubled
  • Like 3