Front Spring has snapped.....

Good evening to you wise and knowledgeable people. After 20 yrs my Red Shed Vrs Estate has finally snapped a front spring whilst parked. My question is.. Which of the multitude of suppliers and manufacturers would you choose...?? I have the OEM part No. 1J0411105AJ. Also I am contemplating replacing the rear springs at the same time, but believe finding the correct spring rate is a PITA, do you have any advice on these too....  Cheers

Aviary Photo_131440089223483667.jpg

Edited by absolutuk
spelling

• absolutuk changed the title to Front Spring has snapped.....
1 hour ago, absolutuk said:

Good evening to you wise and knowledgeable people. After 20 yrs my Red Shed Vrs Estate has finally snapped a front spring whilst parked. My question is.. Which of the multitude of suppliers and manufacturers would you choose...?? I have the OEM part No. 1J0411105AJ. Also I am contemplating replacing the rear springs at the same time, but believe finding the correct spring rate is a PITA, do you have any advice on these too....  Cheers

You can find the OEM part numbers for the springs from the car's build codes.

Build codes have three characters such as G85 L13, etc. The car might have around 180 build codes, so there are a lot of them.

Once you get them all, you can input them into "VW codes decoder" to find out what they all mean.

VW codes decoder

http://igorweb.org/equidec.aspx

There's an ebay seller than can supply your build codes for about 3 Euros.

Search "skoda vin decoder" on ebay to find the listing.

Alternatively, you can go on "skoda erwin" where you can download not only the build codes but manuals, etc. One hour's access is 7 Euros.

You might have some of your build codes on a white label in the spare wheel well under the carpet, but there might only be around 40 of them.

Example of white build code label 

bora-car-sticker-jpg.998

Edited by Carlston

6 hours ago, petrolbloke said:

I think you posted in a FB group I'm also a member of.

Same reply here - I fitted Sachs front springs to mine. They have been on a few years with no problems. I think I got them from CP4L/ECP or GSF.

Sachs don't appear to make any springs that match OEM part number 1J0411105AJ

However, Kilen 23113 do match 1J0411105AJ

• 2 weeks later...