MK2 Engine Mounts

Hi folks,

At least one engine mount needs replacing on mine (1.8 CDAA), but I understand theres 3 mounts in total.

Garage chappy advised to wait until it failed, but I'm not comfortable with that as surely a failed mount puts stress on parts not designed to carry the weight of the engine?

Also, is it best to do all three at once, or just the ones that failed.

What sort of price are we looking? I've had an initial quote of £600, but a cursory online search suggests it should be cheaper by half.

Any insight greatly appreciated!

Two either side, engine mount down the left of engine as you look at it.  (transmission mount under the air box) third, sometimes known as the dog bone mount is underneath, holding transmission to subframe. They are quite easy to change, just need to move the coolant bottle/water filler neck for the engine mount. The air box for the transmission mount. just use new bolts as they are stretch bolts. 

Swap one side at a time. Jack the relevant side from underneath prior to loosening the bolts. Buy Lemforder from autodoc or similar. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Breezy_Pete said:

Which mount is in need of replacement?

Not sure at this stage, other than it will be on the O/S of the engine, or right side as you look at it

8 hours ago, Black vRS Oct said:

Two either side, engine mount down the left of engine as you look at it.  (transmission mount under the air box) third, sometimes known as the dog bone mount is underneath, holding transmission to subframe. They are quite easy to change, just need to move the coolant bottle/water filler neck for the engine mount. The air box for the transmission mount. just use new bolts as they are stretch bolts. 

Swap one side at a time. Jack the relevant side from underneath prior to loosening the bolts. Buy Lemforder from autodoc or similar. 

Thanks this is really useful! Car in garage right now but will take a look and see if I can figure it out when back.