Columbus sat nav live traffic updates using mobile phone hotspot

Hi,

15 years after my last Octavia I have now bought a Mk IV.  Getting it this Friday 🙂
I know the Mk IV hasn't got a SIM card slot anymore but I also know that I can use my mobile's hotspot to connect the car to it.  Will that work for traffic updates or do I really need to buy infotainment data from cubictelecom?

Cheers,

Peter

I don't know UK specifics, so treat it as a bit of speculation :)

But firstly, your car will still have SIM or eSIM more likely. It needs it to contact e.g. emergency services and for some service info exchange with Skoda. You might not be able to use it as a hotspot for internet on the go, but basic connectivity will still be there.

Secondly, I believe that traffic updates are done via RDS (Radio Data System) which relies on traditional FM/AM radio broadcasts and does not require internet connectivity. 

Looks like the only way to get live traffic updates in my Columbus MIB3 is to pay for Infotainment Online.  It's around £46/year and is supposed to update the maps once a month...