ABS/ESP Recall 45F4

Hello all, I'm not on here much as our Octavia VRS (CR) causes no bother whatsoever !  (touches wood!)........ but got a recall letter in the post about the above recall.   Tried a search on this here forum and was surprised I couldn't find any info ?

Reading the letter I'm thinking it could maybe be just a simple earth-wire check as they quote a time of "about 30 minutes" ?

Can anyone enlighten me please ?

Thanks in advance.

John.

Key word search hint

briskoda octavia mk2 abs recall

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/436504-recall-on-2009-octavia-vrs-absesc-control-module

Maybe a previous owner decided not to have it done, or did and the records are wrong.    Is it a car recently purchased so a new Registered Keeper?

Does it show here?

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

An error in the DVLA / Gov recall sight has no recall come up under 'Octavia II' 2009-2013 but does under 'Octavia.'

http://www.gov.uk/check-vehicle-recall

Screenshot 2023-03-16 10.58.13.png

Edited by toot

Thanks toot,   we've had the car about 7 years now.  I'll likely just check the wiring to the ABS pump and it's earthing wire.....not too keen to take it to the dealer.

Strange that they've just sent this letter now?....got the emissions recall letter about 6 years ago....never got that done either !

• Like 1

On 16/03/2023 at 13:08, JohnMack said:

I'll likely just check the wiring to the ABS pump and it's earthing wire.....not too keen to take it to the dealer.

You should read the paragraph headed "How the manufacturer will repair"

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

You should read the paragraph headed "How the manufacturer will repair"

I have had a look at that bit, I am concerned they'd try and sneak in the emissions update (which I certainly don't want as its remapped). Mines an early 09 scout, the letter appears to just be a copy of the original from back in the day as the qr code/website link don't work and when attempting to ring the number it's no longer in use and gives you this number to call instead 03330037504

Reason I was considering taking it in or speaking to them is its been playing up for last couple of weeks and I'm not sure if this could be a part of the problem.

I'm sorry for jumping on the post and the essay below!

I'm not asking for detailed reply as going to post a thread after I've checked a few basics I can (not very mechanically minded), but if anyone checking this can confirm either way if this is likely/possibly the cause I'd appreciate it.

Car starts fine first time (mostly) and varies between 2 minutes and 2 hours of driving til revs drop/all dash lights come on like ABS ESP DPF EML etc.. and sometimes cuts out, it sometimes starts again and keeps doing that and sometimes just turns over but not run. ECU seems to be either not getting power or bad earth interrupting it as Bluetooth code reader is connected to ECU while running fine then can't communicate when it's not. Can tell just looking at dash if it's going to restart as temperature gauge drops to zero and doesn't move and/or key light flashes.

3 hours ago, MediScout said:

I am concerned they'd try and sneak in the emissions update

If I were in your fortunate situation I would be doing exactly the same and avoiding any contact with VAG, I completely get it!

In fact I am now in the same situation but it cost me £250 or maybe even £300 I cant recall, having the company that did the remap roll back the emissions fix, it would have been done for free had I been able to get to them for the remap rather than having it done by an agent but it was during covid and the stars were not aligned.

I was just happy that when I did eventually get to Cornwall, sadly for my stepmothers funeral that they were able to do it for me with no notice, frankly it was worth every penny, dont ever allow yours to be updated!

My now ex UK neighbour was like you, I did some minor VCDS coding for him which it turns out he could have done from the maxidot menu, I slipped in the needle sweep function to freak him out (he is Mr Nervous) and then to wind him up I said I had downloaded tha latest ECU software for him because he had a very early version, I caught him hook line and sinker!