Skoda Scala rear speakers retrofit

SUBZER0

The only way to find out how hard this is going to be is to take the interior door card off.   Once removed, if the wiring and plug connectors are already there for the speakers then retrofitting them will be a piece of cake.  I would assume this is the likely case, as most car manufacturers put complete wiring looms in to all vehicles but them leave out the components based on the trim specification.   So if you can get hold of the speakers this is well worth a go.  If for some mad reason the wiring and connectors aren't in the door card then this will be an extremely time consuming and some-what difficult job.

• 2 weeks later...

I removed the interior trim this week and “lucky” me, there are no wires. I am still debating if the retrofit is worth it. I wanted to take the speakers out of a crashed scala. I was wondering where do the wires go and how much work would it take to take them out. After a bit of studying, I found in the workshop manuals a thing called “Digital sound package control unit -J525-” under the driver’s seat. Is that were the wires would go?

6 hours ago, SUBZER0 said:

I removed the interior trim this week and “lucky” me, there are no wires. I am still debating if the retrofit is worth it. I wanted to take the speakers out of a crashed scala. I was wondering where do the wires go and how much work would it take to take them out. After a bit of studying, I found in the workshop manuals a thing called “Digital sound package control unit -J525-” under the driver’s seat. Is that were the wires would go?

They would go from the door through to the B pillar in the black tube that links the wires but you would have to wire from head unit to the door it’s not worth it 

When I bought a brand but basic spec new mk2 Octavia in 2007 I assumed the four speaker system meant front and rear fittings, especially since there was a grill in the rear but my then music-mad teenage son soon pointed out the error of my ways from the rear seats.

An I-pod and headphones for him fixed the issue for him and solved the never ending argument over music selection and volume :) 

I was more annoyed with myself for not realising the four speakers were the mid-range and tweeters were front mounted rather than any real disappointment over loss of quality or volume. 90% of the time there was only a driver in the car and while a good sound system is not important for either my wife or I it was just adequate for our purposes.

We now have a mk3 and it does have front and rear speakers but the very basic entertainment 'Swing' units fitted in both old and new cars do not produce quality sound from the cheap speakers fitted. I don't think that adding rear speakers is going to be worth the effort for the minimal improvement in sound quality you are likely to get.

While I don't expect much from the mk3 Swing unit the quality of bluetooth phone calls is far superior to what I have experienced in far more expensive vehicles, go figure.

As you only have front speakers fitted I'm assuming that you have the latest basic entertainment unit installed so maybe others can advise whether upgrading the front speakers is worth the relatively small expense for any noticeable improvement.

Noise cancelling earbuds work a treat as well but you have to remain particularly visually alert like a deaf driver would have to.

Edited by Gerrycan