'66 (2017) Octavia 4x4 buying guide

Whitie

Hi,

First post on here, but having owned VAG for the last twenty odd years I have enjoyed the depth of knowledge available within this forum.

Currently looking to trade up from a 2wd to a 4wd Octavia due to moving to a more rural setting.

Are there any particular items or faults I should looked out for when inspecting the 2015-2018 models to purchase?

Also, what is the official time/distance schedule for toothedbelt replacements on the 2.0 diesel engines of that era?

Many thanks for any guidance 

Welcome.

You will see lots of posts in the Octavia Mk3 section re Cambelt.

Skoda UK / Main Dealers will say Cambelt & Water Pump at 5 years.  Read the threads on the 'Tea Bag' in the coolant bottle and people removing that if they have a car with that.

The Haldex service is at 3 years / 30,000 miles and needs done properly, not just an oil change.  So due the 2nd service of it on a 2017 car.

Brake fluid changed @ 3 years then each 2.   So done at least once is really how it should show as.

Fuel Filter @ 5 years.   etc etc. 

Expect these sort of costs now.

Cheaper maybe at an Independent. 

22190367_575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c(1).jpg.0b06f1d5d5d159b07d3d237fd672b0c1.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 2

55 minutes ago, toot said:

Read the threads on the 'Tea Bag' in the coolant bottle and people removing that if they have a car with that.

Some useful reading examples here (for Whitie, not you George! 😇)

It's also worth being aware of the water pump thread if you're going down the diesel route:

But as toot has already pointed out, there are lots of posts and threads on these points, and the Haldex being done properly, as oppose to just done (oil change) is one to note.  

The Briskoda search facility is surprisingly good for finding answers, and plenty of light reading 👍

Welcome aboard :hi:

Gaz

Edited by Gaz
'coz I like to.

21 hours ago, toot said:

Welcome.

You will see lots of posts in the Octavia Mk3 section re Cambelt.

Skoda UK / Main Dealers will say Cambelt & Water Pump at 5 years.  Read the threads on the 'Tea Bag' in the coolant bottle and people removing that if they have a car with that.

The Haldex service is at 3 years / 30,000 miles and needs done properly, not just an oil change.  So due the 2nd service of it on a 2017 car.

Brake fluid changed @ 3 years then each 2.   So done at least once is really how it should show as.

Fuel Filter @ 5 years.   etc etc. 

Expect these sort of costs now.

Cheaper maybe at an Independent. 

22190367_575794279_Screenshot2023-03-1822_35_35.jpg.f1eafd544592c6770c8a17f54f93155c(1).jpg.0b06f1d5d5d159b07d3d237fd672b0c1.jpg

Thank you Toot, I shall read the tea bag information from Gaz with intrigue, I've not come across this before.

This is what I feared regarding service schedules; there would be different opinions. 

I was a main dealer VW/Audi mechanic for almost a decade back in the noughties, and the norm was either 4 or 5 years and 60k for toothed belt replacements. 

The service book for my 2012 octavia VRs however noted quite an astronomical distance in comparison.

Haldex oil was every 20k and filter 40k, but has this changed to oil and filter every 30k now then?

Have there been catastrophic results with vehicles missing this event?

Brake fluid seems the same.

Fuel and air filters used to be 40k/4yrs, so that hasn't changed much either, thanks.

• Like 1

Actually Air Filter are a stupid 6 years and some are not simply checked at services.   Fuel Filter @ 6 years.

Haldex was @ 40,000 miles until VW brought it to 30,000 years, then 30,000 or 3 years and Skoda changed a year or 2 later and still do not have the Filter as an item for changing, 

cleaning etc.

Skoda have recently changed some cars like the Fabias to first brake fluid change at 2 years which is what it was about 13 years ago before going to first @ 3 years then each 2.

Other world regions / dusty ones are not @ 5 years or by almost no miles like 50,000 , 60,000 etc.     VW still can not convert km to miles in many cases, and differ from Audi. 

1168293554_37335614_Screenshot2021-09-14at07_38_18(3).webp.ee5b8a609f78b3b2f42441d7532010fa.webp.03b06c85571b53b664b7942fca3ad3bc.webp.f393ed8c476db32331ff95a994fd58a3.webp

Edited by toot

6 years... For the pollen filter also! Wow, and is that first oil service at 3years? That's incredible.

We had issues when longlife servicing first came out on VWs, so I've always been a great believer in the annual 10k oil and filter service with my cars.

I suppose it makes sense to change the haldex filter each time the oil is replaced; just hope the oil is up to the increased distance.

22 hours ago, Gaz said:

Some useful reading examples here (for Whitie, not you George! 😇)

It's also worth being aware of the water pump thread if you're going down the diesel route:

But as toot has already pointed out, there are lots of posts and threads on these points, and the Haldex being done properly, as oppose to just done (oil change) is one to note.  

The Briskoda search facility is surprisingly good for finding answers, and plenty of light reading 👍

Welcome aboard :hi:

Gaz

Thanks for those links Gaz, some handy items to check for my impending road tests 👍 

Light reading 😅

I have spent many an hour trawling through the search function over the years: so much info!

@Whitie Nooo.

Not first Oil Change @ 3 years.

That was the Fixed Service & Maintenance in 2021 on 3-10 year old cars on Fixed Services.

Until 2019 end it was Still Minor / interim or Major Services on Fixed / Annual Services, or Major services each 2 years.

2020 they cam up with the Oil & Inspection Services and then @ 3 years Extended Scope, then extended scope each 2 years.

You pay for each extra you get gone instead of the Major Service scheme where they charged you a fixed price including VAT even when you never got an Air, Pollen, Fuel Filter, Spark plugs etc.  

Robbing barstewards. 

Capture.thumb.JPG.fef48b02817edf726622c276e4cb26c2.jpeg

757510080_Screenshot2020-11-01at11_56_45.webp.4376e1042fed385c23883854a55c5006.webp

image.png.46f2456f0e52bd39859ba9bcea1c208f.png

image (1).webp

2020-01-08_1834.png.42b3a914e84856e0f773efc0d7f3f7d1.png

2096461127_Screenshot2022-04-2811_58_00.jpg.0baebc2cce16bf3152d8fab563b08339.jpg

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

That is good news Toot, 3years is far too long!

I've tried locating service history from a vehicle in interested in from Skoda uk chat function: they have sent me a list of dates/distances with the service names against them. Unfortunately, this doesn't actually tell me what items were replaced. And the first mention of Haldex seems to be much later than expected; more like 4yrs/60k as a stand alone event.

Is there a way I can find detailed invoice information out for these services?

Enter Name,

From my experience working at VAG main dealers, it all depends who you have working on your vehicle.

I test drove every one unless told not to. Others were more interested in time saved bonus and just took then to be washed 😏

• Like 1

Something that really pees me off is the Washing.

It is fine that owners say 'Do not wash my car',   As long as they hand in a clean car. 

The Wheels and car check is supposed to be done by the Service Staff as the car is handed in, to see no damage visible, wheels kerbed.

That is before a muppet kerbs them driving around to the service bay or when on a road test.

The Car Washed should not be before the car is handed back after the service.

It is before the 'Trained Technician / Fitter' does the Body Condition / Corrosion / Pant Warranty Inspection.    That Inspection that Skoda UK keeps saying there is no record of being done.

It used to be a page after Each Service or Each MAJOR Service.  then it was done and you had a Palm Device.  You noted damage, or poor repairs or corrosion and the position.

VW Group UK know these 'Inspections;  are not getting done as part of Oil & Inspection Services and who and where there are not being done, they also know who does them properly,  because their name is on the records, and someone signs off their work. 

1 hour ago, Whitie said:

From my experience working at VAG main dealers, it all depends who you have working on your vehicle.

I test drove every one unless told not to. Others were more interested in time saved bonus and just took then to be washed 😏

I asked for my car not to be washed at the Skoda dealer, but I did take it to the garage clean. The independent I go to now probably wouldn't wash the car if I asked them too, though there is a hand car wash place just opposite them, so I expect they'd bung it over there and bill me their cost + a bit.

Agreed, I always take my car in (if I have to) clean, for a few reasons.

Unfortunately the service staff just want to rush the cars in and out, so they have no desire to check the car out.

Also, with my own experience of having my locking wheel bolts assessed for a replacement key; I was greeted to a dribbled oily hand print on the nsf wing of my car upon having it returned to me. I was in too much of a hurry to strike a fuss up about it.

Quick one on Skoda recalls:

A vehicle I'm interested has a note on it's history for one being carried out. Is there a way I can find out which one it was do you know?

Thanks 

Skoda Main Dealership staff or Skoda UK's Customer Services Contractor can or should be able to tell you what RECALL there was on your car.

I suspect it was a Service Campaign or Recall Action, or a TPI covered something.

Pretty sure your car was not part of the Defeat Device Voluntary Recall but there were some cars that then got some sort of Software / Engine Management Skoda Secret Service sort out an emissions issue, 'don't ask we do not know type thing'. Loose lips can kill, on a need to know & VW decide owners need not know!

http://skoda-auto.com/services/recall-actions

Screenshot 2023-04-22 07.03.57.png

Screenshot 2023-04-22 07.04.19.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Many thanks, I shall enquire with Skoda UK recarding that specific recall.

I know one of the vehicless I'm interested in has had a wheel bearing replaced.

On a slightly seperate note; I've seen some members on here have been able to view service invoices online so as to ascertain what work has been carried out specifically.

Is this something only available to the owner of the vehicle do you know?