Non-electronic key for a 2nd generation Yeti?

DanPlainview

Hello, I'm new to this forum and was hoping to find some info about using a non-electronic spare key with a 2nd generation Yeti.

I wanted to get a spare key that I didn't have to worry about getting wet as I spend allot of time surfing and have had some problems with some leaky wet suits and dry bags in the past, so I got a basic spare key cut from the original electronic key.

When I place the spare key in the ignition if fits fine, but I get a 'key not found' error on the maxi dot display, it will turn but the engine will not start.

I've searched though the manual and online but can't seem to find any info on whether on not a fob has to be present for the key to be recognised?, or if somehow this can be disabled so a non-electronic key can be used?

Any info would be much appreciated, thanks!

Welcome.

The immobiliser can not detect the key since there is no chip present. 

Can you not leave the proper key in the car for using to start the car and dry

and use your cut key to lock the car & take with you and to open the door to get in?

Was that not what you did anyway, leaving the key with the other stuff you do not take surfing?

Edited by toot
  • Like 1

Hi toot,

Thanks, that's a good idea. Only thing is I'm pretty sure it invalidates my insurance if there is a key in the car in the unlikely event it was broken into. But sounds like the best option if it needs a chip. Thanks again!

There are cars with a 'service key' hidden in the glove box of some cars. Car thieves know about them.

?

Do you think if your car is stolen using a hidden key in your car that if those that stole it will be telling the police they found a hidden key in the car after breaking in?

Your good gear is in the car tempting them.

As to Dry bags for keys,phones etc, i used them for years, perfect for the job.

When we kayaked we hid the keys for the cars that were used for ferrying us with the cars and carried keys with us. 

PS

Do not hide the key in an ashtray, first place they look, also for notes or Credit or debit cars, or under the mats, that is the 2nd place. 

DSCN2797.JPG

DSCN2798.JPG

Edited by toot