Humming noise

Hi could someone help please

I just replaced both rear wheel bearings as humming noise is coming from the rear just took it on a drive still the same. What else could this be please? Rear breaking was really bad too.

Are you sure it's coming from the rear? Only other thing I can think of is a dodgy tyre.

• Like 1

Just now, owen_vrs said:

Yes sounds like the rear. What do you mean tyre?

Sometimes defective tyres can make a humming noise.

• Like 1

Thing is that sometimes noises on cars can be deceptive and what sounds like the rear can sometimes be the front.

• Like 2
  • Love it! 1

Just now, TMB said:

Thing is that sometimes noises on cars can be deceptive and what sounds like the rear can sometimes be the front.

Ok thanks I will take other look tomorrow, cheers 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, owen_vrs said:

Rear breaking was really bad too.

What do you mean, Owen?

8 minutes ago, TMB said:

What do you mean tyre?

Round black thing, goes between the wheel and the ground. ;)

You may have saw-toothing (looks and feels like the name suggests) or an out of round tyre (one wear bar is much nearer to the tread surface than the other 5). That said, maybe the tyre(s) don't know the words? ;) 

19 hours ago, TMB said:

What do you mean, Owen?

I moved all the wheels around and the sound moved to the front so definitely tyre. I meant rear bearings were bad.

• Like 2

I fitted a set of "Goodride" tyres once to my old Black vRS, and they howled like a pig on the motorway. Sounded like all the wheel bearings had failed at the same time. 

Used them up over the course of 20k and replaced them with Michelin, noise gone. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Lofty said:

I fitted a set of "Goodride" tyres once to my old Black vRS, and they howled like a pig on the motorway. Sounded like all the wheel bearings had failed at the same time. 

Used them up over the course of 20k and replaced them with Michelin, noise gone. 

Well done you for getting 20000 miles out of them!