Brake pedal free play.

Schtum

I don't like the free play in my brake pedal.  The car has c. 6k miles on the drilled Brembo discs with their HP pads on the front and I've just had the rears replaced today with Pagid discs and pads. The front calipers were serviced as well. 

Even with several miles of bedding in the rears and taking up the handbrake adjustment by pressing the brake pedal and pumping the lever, there's still too much play.  Has anyone succeeded in adjusting this out?  

If the old pads came out tapered with wear then it will take a very long time for the new ones to do the same and stop rocking when the brakes are applied, the rear brakes do very little work.

You either abuse them driving with the handbrake on or have to be patient.

Apologies, I had read your posting but it hadn't sunk in that you had replaced the disks as well as the pads. You have some sponginess or lost motion somewhere in the rear calipers with the new parts.

Edited by J.R.

2 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Apologies, I had read your posting but it hadn't sunk in that you had replaced the disks as well as the pads. You have some sponginess or lost motion somewhere in the rear calipers with the new parts.

Thanks JR.  I think that it's lost motion because of some kind of clearance issue in the pedal to master cylinder shaft.  It feels like completely free play.  I want progressive brake actuation from the top of the stroke.  

I think I've been spoilt driving my wife's Karoq which although it appears to have an identical braking system, including the Drilled Brembos on the front has actuation from the top of the pedal, progressive braking and good feel. 

I'm beginning to think that after three and a bit years of ownership, I've had my fun with it and if I want to continue to drive quickly, I should sell it and buy a Porsche Boxster.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Schtum said:

Even with several miles of bedding in the rears and taking up the handbrake adjustment by pressing the brake pedal and pumping the lever, there's still too much play.

Handbrake adjustment is at the rear of the centre armrest, access gained by removing the tipping drawer.

12 hours ago, toot said:

No idea on your issue, but what setting have you got the brake assist at?

Your post on settings is here.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/490344-adjustable-brake-settings-deep-in-vcds

Correct George, that is not the issue.  From memory it's set on Medium which is how it came from the factory.  I don't want more servo assistance.  A nice firm pedal makes a good pivot for me to heel and toe on down changes which is what I do as a matter of course.

What would be even better, would be for that firm pivot to be right at the top of the pedal's travel. 

• Haha 1

Heel & toeing  on the road with a diesel engine 🥴

It must have the noise simulator!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, J.R. said:

Heel & toeing  on the road with a diesel engine 🥴

It must have the noise simulator!

With a glass of water balanced on the bonnet.  It's the only way to be smoother than a very smooth thing when you're pressing on and I suspect that rev matching on down changes prolongs clutch and DMF life. 

Even more of a parallel universe, glass of water on the bonnet while pressing on.

14 hours ago, J.R. said:

Even more of a parallel universe, glass of water on the bonnet while pressing on.

Some can, some can't.  Don't feel bad about it, J.R.   Yes, I know. You don't.   

Ça ne fait rien.

Edited by Schtum