Rear dashcam

Warkman

Has anyone fitted a front and rear dashcam to their Enyaq? I’ve heard some stories that the cable to the rear camera can cause issues?

thanks in advance

I have the Nextbase 322 with this module fitted to my Kamiq:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Nextbase-Add-Module-Cameras-Compatible/dp/B07PV97J2Q/ref=asc_df_B07PV97J2Q/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=310801248631&hvpos=&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16960525344189899979&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046757&hvtargid=pla-762457960513&psc=1

I wanted this setup to avoid the difficulty of cabling a camera mounted on the back window. The view it gives obviously isn’t as wide as a rear mounted camera but it certainly fulfils its brief for me. The mounting for the front cam is also very neat - the power lead runs to the mount and the cam attaches with a strong magnet. 

Its not the cable or the rear dashcam that causes problems.  Its the nasty little cheap Chinese 12v-5v dc "Buck" convertors sold on ebay and Amazon that create electrical noise on the 12v vehicle supply.  These "Buck" convertors switch or chop the 12v signal down to 5v at very high frequencies.   I've monitored some of these little convertors with an oscilloscope and the electrical noise they make is criminal !

These things are normally ok with just one front camera attached, its when you add the second camera they become overworked and create many more harmonic frequency's which can interfere with some radio signals and god knows what else of the Enyaqs control systems. 

Easy answer is to fit a higher quality (higher power) "Buck" convertor (££) - usually the ones recommended and sold by the camera supplier are ok (or should be !).   

My solution was to build and fit (I'm an electronics engineer) a simple 12v to 5v LINEAR power supply which creates no electrical noise whatsover.  I've used this type for a while now in my Enyaq with no issues at all.

My latest install is the VIOFO Pro duo HD 4k, which is one of the best front and rear camera setup.  Rear camera lead is simply fed along headlining (away from airbags) and through the rear grommets into the tailgate. Its one of the easiest install I've done.

• Like 1

I just did the fuse mod so that the 12V socket in the boot becomes live when you turn the ignition on, and then plugged the rear dash cam in...........

Dare I say it, an even easier install...........😉

I'm not aware of any issues with noise in the 12V system, in this car or the many others I've owned caused by my dash cams, but the radio works fine........

• Like 1