Enyaq 80 range

simonb82

I’m considering replacing my diesel SUV with an Enyaq 80. My reservation is that I regularly do a 220 mile round trip to my parents and don’t want to have to stop to charge on the journey

i know the quoted range of the 80 is over 300 miles but given this journey is 95% motorway what is the realistic range of the Enyaq 80 at those speeds in both summer and winter?

If you use 75 kWh and get at least 3 miles per kWh then that is 225 miles.

At motorway speeds other than in the coldest of weather you should be getting better than 3.5 miles per kWh, so easily over 250 miles with a margin. 

a 60kW.

Edited by toot

Thanks so you think even in cold weather and motorway speeds I’d still get 3 miles per kWh? I’ve seen some people claiming you might only get 2.5 in which case the range isn’t long enough 

@simonb82if those are actual drivers of Enyaq 80's that only get 2.5 miles per kWh in the UK @ 73 mph max & 60 mph average in cold weather and on the OE tyres then obviously that is not enough for you if you get that kind of cold weather.

If it is just people claiming that but not actually driving the cars that is a different matter.

Maybe some members here with a 80 will get around to replying to your post.

Edited by toot

I would be happy to do that trip in my ID.4 with 77kWh battery without a charge in all but the very worst weather (cold and windy and raining/snowing). ID.4 official range not quite as good as Enyaq since the Skoda has better drag coefficient. I average over 3 miles per kWh even in winter time (last winter average was 3.4 miles/kWh). I would advise making sure you have at least ME3.0 software on the vehicle if buying second hand, there is a noticeable improvement in efficiency with the equivalent to this version of the software on my ID.4 and I now regularly get in excess of 4.2 miles/kWh which was unheard of on earlier version of the software. (e.g last summer average was 3.8, since V3.0 software installed in April - 4.1!)

As Toot says, hopefully an actual Enyaq owner will give you their real life experiences of range for better background.

Finally, I'm curious as to why you do not want to charge on a long journey? If visiting parents the car is doing nothing while you visit and could be charged then?

Interesting I was speaking to a dealer and expecting them to massively oversell the range. Instead he told me that with an Enyaq 80 at motorway speeds in winter I’d probably only get about 190 miles

10 hours ago, Luckypants said:

I would be happy to do that trip in my ID.4 with 77kWh battery without a charge in all but the very worst weather (cold and windy and raining/snowing). ID.4 official range not quite as good as Enyaq since the Skoda has better drag coefficient. I average over 3 miles per kWh even in winter time (last winter average was 3.4 miles/kWh). I would advise making sure you have at least ME3.0 software on the vehicle if buying second hand, there is a noticeable improvement in efficiency with the equivalent to this version of the software on my ID.4 and I now regularly get in excess of 4.2 miles/kWh which was unheard of on earlier version of the software. (e.g last summer average was 3.8, since V3.0 software installed in April - 4.1!)

As Toot says, hopefully an actual Enyaq owner will give you their real life experiences of range for better background.

Finally, I'm curious as to why you do not want to charge on a long journey? If visiting parents the car is doing nothing while you visit and could be charged then?

In terms of charging to my parents. I have the kids with me. On the way up we are normally running late so don’t have time to stop. On the way home we want to get home for bedtime 

I could charge at my parents but they don’t have a charger so it would only be 3 pin so if there for say 5 hours we wouldn’t get much charge 

Not according to the dealer though at motorway speeds in winter because that are saying about 190 miles from 77 kWh, so 2.5 miles per kWh, 

if it was 75 kWh then 2.53 miles per kWh.

meaning 12 kWh x 2.5 is just an extra 30 miles.        Which actually is fine as a top up. 

As it is the usable 77 kWh is not going to all get used as nobody is running the battery to flat. 

But then it really is about what motorway speeds are and is it really 70 mph or more like an  average of 65 mpg, and how cold is your winter trip. 

As it is getting 20 mins on a 50 kWh or faster charger is often all that is needed and is not the greatest of hardships.

Some just drop there speed by 5 mph and then that means no need to put a stop in to charge as that helps the range. 

I'm speaking from real world experience of a sibling car, not as a dealership employee who has probably not lived with an EV. I've never had projected range of less than 200 miles to a full battery except driving home from Scotland in Storm Dudley with a slow puncture - an extreme case which I would have avoided if at all possible. Winter range (for me) would be 220-250 on the motorway. Therefore I think an Enyaq will do the OP's round trip without a problem, but a 5 hour granny charge would soothe any range anxiety they may feel. However, if the Enyaq really does only 190 miles to a full charge, adding your 30 mile figure by granny charger makes the trip doable without on route charging.

I again express the hope an actual Enyaq driver can give us their real world insight on this thread :)

Edited by Luckypants

iV80 driver me.  Just returned from round trip Wiltshire - Perth 900 miles all motorway or dual carriageway.

Mostly stuck to 65 mph, occasional excursions at higher speeds to clear bunches of trundlers.  Daytime journey with outside temperatures ranging 11-21 degC,  A/C on and temperature set 20 degC.  Efficiency overall was 4.2 mpkWh.

Two stops each way for charging and found like most, that you've really got to bolt the coffee if you are to disconnect and proceed!  Unbelievably convenient fast chargers at Stafford and Gretna Green.  Return journey started at 80% charge, arriving home with 40%.  Journey times around 10 hours each way and not much different from those in Octavia and Superb diesels driven many times previously tbh .

April's other longer journey Wiltshire - Cornwall returned around 3.8-3.9 mpkWh this year.  After 15 months since ordering, the car arrived January and I am delighted with the range which consistently exceeds 340 miles this June weather weather and 310 Feb - March.  Enyaq iV80 well recommended for your needs!

• Like 1

77 kW usable would be running til empty.   So if you want 10% left for a margin of safety you take 7.7 kWh off that and you get to 69.3 kWh.

This 80 kW then 77 kW stuff is all about kidolgy.   

As with my car, 50 kWh battery, 45 kWh usable, not tempting going below 10% unless certain of getting a charge means if i start with 100% then i am playing with 40.5 kWh.

If starting on 100% battery i might not have regen / regen breaking until the battery is down to 98%. 

77 x 4.4 =  338.8

69.3 x 4.4 = 304.92

Bigger battery you might just use 5% as the figure where you start getting range anxiety.

77 - 3.85 = 73.15 kWh x 4.4 = 321.86 miles.

Edited by toot

I’ve got a test drive booked so will see what sort of miles per kWh I get on a run like my commute. Obviously this time of year is a good temperature, if I get say 3.5 miles per kWh now how much would I expect that to reduce in winter?

If the weather is not into the high 20's degree 3 there is something far wrong if you are getting 3.5 miles a kWh. 

Even up there if your average speed is around 60 mph that would be pathetic.

Has climate change really had such an adverse affect on the South of the UK that there are going to be outdoor ice rinks and cross country ski centres?