Firmware update 8755

• 2 weeks later...

Maybe my post do not complies with forum rules and I am so sorry if I'm doing something wrong,
but this situation is really serious and against the warranty law: Skoda refuses to fix it, asks for money, with truly incoherent and embarrassing excuses although there is a solution!

So I decided to do an upload of the 8755 software file in hopes of doing some good.
I'll post the link in the next message so that at least these words can remain.

The absurd thing is that many Skoda assistance centers throughout Europe are unaware of the existence of this firmware and they don't even know why.
An assistance center, who learned of its existence through me, told me that in official documents 8755 results as compatible only with 695 hardware, but it is not true, as seems that some of you can confirm.

The further absurdity?
Swing Plus produced since mid-2020 already have the 8755 installed.
You can find it by searching, in Google images, "8755 MIB2" or "8755 696", "8755 695" and so on: you will find external labels of the hardware showing the software number.

Why are Skoda and VW doing all this to us?
We should file a class action and seek compensation, also to avoid other similar problems in the future,
but evidently it's one of those situations where solving it ourselves it's more realistic.. and costless.
After having struggled for a long time in vain, 

after being blamed and being told that
- the phone is bad or too new (later discovering that it is expressly declared compatible by Skoda)
- our cable is faulty, buy another one
- to buy the Volkswagen cable which costs a lot and is much worse
etc. etc. , all without any written trace, other than threatening them.

What a shame.

• Like 1

Thankyou @torakiki111 and @Tdawber for your help. I now have an updated and skip free Android Auto.

I made a few mis-steps along the way, but the magic formula for me was: 

SD card <16Gb, format to FAT32 and ensure Allocation Unit size is 4096.

Unzip the files and put them on the card and ensure the files are in the root (5 folders and the txt file). 

Insert SD card, long press the Setup button - update and accept the options. (I kept failing at this point but the formatting option above solved it for me)

So far, it seems to have fixed all my issues. 

Seems to be compatible on 2018-2021 Fabia with Swing / Swing Plus radios.

SEEMS, but I'm not 100% sure, that it also works on other Skodas
and that compatibility can be verified with the radio turned on,
holding down the SETUP button until the SERVICE MODE screen opens, software update / version:
here if you find an entry that starts with MEN2_EU_SKGPx_   ,   in my opinion it is compatible.

• Love it! 1

Attention: before installing the 8755 software, read here

This software has been verified as working on the Swing and Swing Plus Radios present on the Skoda Fabia MK3 (2017-2021).

It's better to don't proceed if you don't have problems with Carplay crackling: the only benefit will be this and it is not convenient for the rest. Reading below you will understand better why.
The following, in fact, is only aimed at remedying Skoda's and/or authorized centers's inertia in resolving this serious defect with Carplay which is a potential violation of consumer legislation and is not intended to be in any way an official guide.

Before you proceed:
- in the same SERVICE MODE menu check that the longest string of the installed version begins with MEN2_EU_SKGPx_ because if it is not, it is practically certain that this software is not suitable for your radio

- be aware that those who updated had no problems arriving from software versions 8740 and 8742: if you have previous software, we don't know if it will work. Some users have suggested doing gradual updates (not verified if this is correct). If anyone has updated from previous versions please report it here.

- be aware that in any case everything is at your own risk: it seems that many users here have not had any problem with the update. But it is a procedure that intervenes in different components of the car and as in all electronic matters something can go wrong.

- be aware that the installation will be fully tracked: the radio will memorize the date and time of the installation.

An alert will be activated in the 5F control unit (a harmless fault that can remain forever without creating consequences), precisely aimed at notifying the Skoda assistance network at the first service that an update has been made and this has not been confirmed with the official instrumentation. The warranty is clearly potentially compromised, or they may ask you for money to remove the error (even if it takes them very little). Because on the date and time you did the update the car was not in service in any Skoda center. It depends on how and who manages this alert.
Below you will find further information on this alert and how it can be removed with the appropriate tools.

PROCEDURE
You have to:
- use an SD card. It also seems to work in a pendrive but for now no user has confirmed it and in any case it is a less stable device. Always format in FAT32.
- download the zip, extract the files and place them in the main folder of the SD/Pendrive. So no subfolders: just the various BT folders, etc. and the metainfo2.txt file.
- insert the SD/Pendrive into the car, hold down the SETUP button until the SERVICE MODE menu opens, then open "software update / version" and press UPDATE. The system will ask for confirmation, do a few reboots, and finally, when everything is finished, it will want the Volkswagen "diagnosis tester" device to be connected. Here you can solve it by pressing cancel. The alert will be created in the control unit, as I mentioned above.

If you don't want problems with Skoda, you can remove the trace in the ECU via the diagnostic socket: search google/youtube for "Checking software version management" and B201A to better understand how to do it.
However, in fact: you need a specific device and software, like OBDEleven or others.
Or you can do it without paying a software using a simple OBD2 elm327 dongle and apps like Car Scanner, but error removal procedure can be risky if not done with extreme caution.

Nothing impossible, but here too, it is right that you know everything.

One possibility, however, is that the Skoda technician could pass by instantly, out of haste or by choice.
But if there is a problem, even if it was Skoda who tricked us into doing the upgrade ourselves, you can become the guilty party.
I say this because in some parts of Europe there are testimonies of how the 8755 software is declared not compatible with some systems on a prudential basis although it absolutely is in reality (I guess they didn't want to make adequate investments on tests to be sure).

They often don't care about Carplay crackling even if under warranty, saying: "Keep the car with the problem, Volkswagen doesn't authorize us to work on this, sue us if you want".
Like I said: if we filed a class action against VW we would win and we would have money. But little money and legal fees to advance. And it's a problem that's too ridiculous and quick to solve.

Here is a link to the file that should not expire:
https://ln5.sync.com/dl/317e3e7e0#x48kb45t-c729295p-faxdwai4-und5yx7w
password: carplay

in addition to what is written above, you must be aware that if you have a radio that is not the one installed when the car was manufactured, by updating you could have serious operating problems because the "crack" that allows you to circumvent the limitations could be removed of Skoda.
An authorized Skoda center would very likely tell you that it is your problem and that they can't do anything, or ask you to pay a lot of money.

Attention those who have used cars: the radio may have been replaced unofficially and you could have this problem.

Surely there is a further unofficial way to remedy this, but you have to search the web and you definitely need at least one OBD2 device.

I cannot help you in any way on these issues, including the "Checking software version management" error.
It's useless to ask me, I'm sorry.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...