Online infotainment renewal

So it’s been 5 years with the car and this year I’m thinking to renounce the renewal of the “online infotainment” service. I want just the Care connect features.

I mainly drive with Carplay and almost never use the online services. But I have some questions:

- not having online infotainment means just not being able to search for online gas stations/parking places or specific addresses through Google, right? Other navigation functions will continue to function, right?

- can I renew the service at a later date, if needed (after some months).

This is mainly due to having an iphone and the unit is not automatically connected to internet so basically even on holidays I’d have to start car, switch on phone’s hotspot, wait for the unit to connect, bypass some messages that I don’t have internet, then all would be ok. And if stopped for a break on the road, do all these steps again. 

Basically, can I still continue to have Care connect and no online infotainment? 
Thanks

My understanding is based on a MIB3 Karoq, and is that:

- the eCall emergency service is provided for the life of the car.

- the Proactive services are provided for the first 10 years (with no indication of how they can be renewed after that). These include Breakdown calls, Info calls, vehicle health reports, service scheduling, online personalisation and online system updates. 

- the Care Connect (remote access) service is renewably annually after the first year, with no indication that a break in renewals stops you buying it again later. This sends data to the Skoda Connect portal and phone app such as driving data, your last parking position, whether your car is locked and windows and doors closed, if your car has been driven outside a specified area, or over a specified speed, or if the car alarm is triggered. You can also send a signal to the car to lock the doors (if you have validated your online account a a dealer) or honk the horn and flash the lights, and generate a digital certificate confirming your car's identity, specification, mileage and service history. Note: I find it very useful to get a signal on my phone when the alarm is triggered as otherwise I don't know the car's lights are flashing outside. This happens seems to happen occasionally when a moth sets off the internal movement alarm overnight! But if you just want the driving data on your phone, you can get this by plugging a dataplug into the car and using the free Connect Lite app.  

- the Connect (infotainment online) service is also renewed annually after the first year, independently of the remote access service, and provides the voice control service, online traffic updates and online map updates as well as the details of parking places and petrol stations. It also uses online traffic data when calculating your best route, and lets you send a destination from your PC or phone to your car. 

Both Connect services seem to be offered at a discounted price in the summer, and extend your current licence by a year. Last year I renewed my licences for £36 and £44 respectively rather than the standard £55 and £65 I would have had to pay when they expired in November.

Chris

• Like 1

Thanks for the info.

I want care Connect, even though I have Connect Lite as I want to be able to check if doors are locked :) 

But with the Online infotainment I'm not sure, as since Apple Carplay it's way easier to use it instead of the car's satnav. Seems a bit a waste of money to keep this subscription. 

Regarding the costs, doing it online via Connect's portal the prices are the same year-round (my case) but I also found out that my dealer offers some renewal codes that are cheaper - downside is that I have to drive there, pay and after 2-3 days the codes arrive - I'm just assuming I'd have to enter the codes in Conect portal under "I have renewal codes"...

Interesting. The Skoda Connect portal is still offering me updates at £36 and £44 for each of the two services, while I thought the 'official' price was £55 and £65. But I can't find the higher prices quoted anywhere now so perhaps it is always £36 and £44. 

I prefer to use the car's satnav rather than my phone, but in your case (and if like me you ignore the voice control gimmick) then I agree you probably don't need the online info licence.

Chris

• 1 month later...

Well just to add some closure: bought both licenses from the dealer - were about 25% cheaper. 
Guess though it’ll be the last year for online infotainment - having an iphone I found out it randomly disconnects from internet, I have to fiddle with phone’s hotspot to reenable. Also I have a couple of addresses saved from online and 2 days in a row - first day it guided me correctly, second day the satnav only wanted to drive me to the city centre - despise multiple attempts to set the correct address, it routed me to city centre. Weird! Then again, selected. Shell gas station only to find out it was no more there for more than 1 year (it’s another company)