Citigo Full Brake Replacement Query

GreyBear

Hey all.

I'm thinking of getting my front and rear brakes replaced, along with discs and drums. For no particular reason (no issues to my knowledge). I skipped the brake service a few years back. From all the services and MOTs my car has ever had, I don't think they've ever been touched. 9 years old now.

My question(s): Does any one know roughly how much it would it would cost to get this work done? Also would you suggest getting work done through a Skoda dealer, or via your local (always used) garage? Advantages/disadvantages.

I suggest you avoid a main dealers other than go in and ask about their prices, and then maybe ask the Service desk person to go get the master tech to speak to you.

Use a local independent garage,  someplace trusted in your area.

Go speak to the boss / manager / mechanic there about your idea for Servicing & Maintenance and replacing the likes of the rear drums just because you have no idea how they are.

You do need servicing of the brakes, a brake fluid change, maybe new pads, maybe new discs, maybe drums, but find out from the mechanic.  Not a Service Desk Receptionist.

• Thanks 1

You'll be lucky to get to chat with any mechanic at a main dealer for something as mundane as brakes!

Just find a local independent or and get a quote for a strip-down and check, and for new disks, pads, drums, shoes as required. Do a brake fluid change anyway. A check may reveal other problems, like weeping brake cylinders.

The point is that the work you are asking for is total bread-and- butter work for any garage that they do every day of the week. Nothing clever involved. Just ask about the origin of the parts, as they are all going to be pattern parts, and you probably want something manufactured in the EU by a known brand, rather than a fake Chinese part.

• Like 2

I think there needs to be some clarity over what's meant by getting the full brakes replaced.

Calipers? Hoses? Cylinders? Fluids?

If the idea is to replace all the friction materials (pads and shoes) then that's not a bad idea. Also the front disks might not be a bad idea as they are cheap enough.

All that is achievable by a home mechanic for about £170 using proper Brembo parts.

Add about £30 for the fluids if you want to change them.

Then double it if you want an independent to do it

And double it again for a main dealer.

• Like 2