Timing belt - 2018 Octavia 1.5tsi

Hi All Forum Users,

I've just booked my 2018 Octavia 1.5tsi in for its 5th service and MOT at Heritage Skoda WSM. I was bracing myself for an additional cost of the timing belt replacement as previously I'd read it should be changed at 5 years.

However, I've been told that I don't need to have it changed as there has been a new technical advisory which means it's now 15 years or 140k miles. Whilst I pleased that I don't have the additional cost, I have asked if someone can call me back and send me some written confirmation as it'll be cheaper to replace the belt than have an engine rebuild!

Has anyone else been told the same?

Many thanks

Edited by Gru
  • Like 1

I think that this has been mentioned in another section of this forum, good to know that VW Group main dealers are being honest about this.

On the other hand, seeing as you are still a bit concerned, I used to have a 1991 Vauxhall Cav GSI 2000 16V 4X4, that engine had a belt driven camshaft, the original recommendation was "90K miles" for replacing the belt, a few years later I just stumbled across an article in a car mag that said that GM had had a rethink and knocked the "change cam belt" down to something like 35K miles or X years - I reacted immediately!!

• Like 1

It is in the thread down the page currently. 'Cost of cam belt change'  & in the threads in the Karoq section regarding 1.5 TSI ACT Cambelt changes and the change of Recommendations, guidelines, advice and even schedule from VW / Skoda since 1st July 2023.

Screenshot 2023-07-10 3.22.55 PM.png

345234110_Screenshot2023-07-0609_08_09.png.c201d803c714046e7680e87ac4461f7c.png

Screenshot 2023-07-10 3.32.45 PM.png

Edited by toot
  • Like 1