Extremadura, Spain

Not long come back from a couple of months in Extremadura. Its the first time I've spent much time there and now consider it my 2nd favourite place in Spain.

100Kms due west of Madrid through to the Portuguese border.

Its green, wide open spaces and interesting mountains makes for great driving country.

Very few tourists, Spanish or N European, plenty of little hostals to stay in.

Ive no specific routes for you but it is an area overlooked and worth making the trip.

Some basic Spanish is useful for ordering food, but the tourist offices in just about every village can speak English.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, we have travelled in that area a few times.  As you say, quiet apart from the hot spots of Merida (fantastic Roman remains) and Caceres which can be quite busy.  We found the area around Trujillo to be devoid of the usual tourists and gave you almost a true taste of 'old' Spain.  As I am sure you know, the Parque Nacional de Monfragüe is a fantastic area to relax and cheap to eat and sleep.

Up in the North this year..again, San Sebastian and then around Jaca.

We decided to drive via France this year as the Brittany Ferries 2 night crossing we did last year was terrible and costly....never again.

Where's your 1st favorite place then?

1st fave is Galicia.*

Atlantic coast, beaches, mountains, food and again not too many N European tourists as long as you keep away from Santiago.

Spain is much more than the Costas but I am happy that most people go there.

We used to drive through France all the time as I loved going into the small way of route villages and camping by the rivers.  But as my job took me to different lands, my wife would fly to her village & I would fly into Madrid and catch the train and then blag a car of the family.

My experience of that 2 day voyage - about 10montsh ago was wonderful. Wife does the booking so not certain of teh money but she indicated not onerous.  But I loved the French crew and food.  This was well outside any busy time.

* Wife comes from Asturias so if she gets to read this, I'm lying dear.

The North is so unspoilt and that is why we return year on year.

The BF sailing was on the new MV Galicia and I think they were short staffed as the shops closed early and dinner was a self-service affair. Previous trip on the Pont Aven were much better, great food, cinema etc, but this was pre covid.

We travelled through Asturias last year, stayed in Llanes (hotel la torre) and then onto Ribadeo via 1 or 2 small hotels.  Cudillero, 'the most beautiful village in Spain' lucky we arrived early and got out before the masses/coaches arrived, it has its charms but I think there are nicer coastal villages on that stretch. We didn't have time to venture to Galicia last year, but have travelled in that region before, always stopping at Martin Codax winery to top up on Albarino/Godello before we head East and home!!

I'll tap you for information if we go back that way, most likely September next year.

Salud, David