cv leak

Hyeung

Hi,

Just posting on advice for a Skoda Yeti 4x4 DSG Auto - 

Noticed some thick black grease on the front passenger alloy, initially cleaned it off and never thought much of it (thought we'd picked something up on the roads).

After a month or so, noticed the same and eventually i traced it back to a leak on what appears to be the outer cv boot.

Not noticed any symptoms as such, but concerned on how long its been leaking now. 

Any general advice and what the recommended fix is for this; and expected costs via a local independent? i.e. replacing the cv joint and cv boot, or the half cv axel etc.

PassengerFrontCVBootLeak1 .jpg

PassengerFrontCVBootLeak2.jpg

PassengerFrontCVBootLeak3.jpg

DriverFrontCVBoot.jpg

Just have the cv boot replaced & refill with grease.

The grease normally comes in a tube with the boot.

No need to replace the CV joint unless it's knocking or making a noise on full lock.

Saying that, I have seen on ebay a CV joint with boot kit for under £30.

20 minutes ago, Carlodiesel said:

Just have the cv boot replaced & refill with grease.

The grease normally comes in a tube with the boot.

No need to replace the CV joint unless it's knocking or making a noise on full lock.

Saying that, I have seen on ebay a CV joint with boot kit for under £30.

I was just abit concerned as its been like this for a month or 2 now. 

I assume you mean knocking noise when the wheel turns? For which I have not notice any such noise.

Yeah likewise i've  also seen the CV joint with boot kit for around £30 as well, in which case my thinking is that it may be best to just change cv joint and boot at the same time?  I believe worst case the half axel is about £100 which i doubt i'll need.

I assume that the labour involved would be effectively the same for cv boot replacement vs cv joint+boot replacement? Is that correct?

How much can I expect labour to be for a local garage to do this? i.e. would 1hr cover it so possibly £100 in total including labour+cv joint+boot replacement

23 hours ago, Hyeung said:

I assume that the labour involved would be effectively the same for cv boot replacement vs cv joint+boot replacement? Is that correct?

YES. As you have to remove the CV joint to fit a boot. So 1 hour job, but I would expect them to charge 1.5 hr.

23 hours ago, Hyeung said:

How much can I expect labour to be for a local garage to do this? i.e. would 1hr cover it so possibly £100 in total including labour+cv joint+boot replacemen

I don't know how much the labour rate is up there, so find a local repair shop would be best.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Carlodiesel said:

YES. As you have to remove the CV joint to fit a boot. So 1 hour job, but I would expect them to charge 1.5 hr.

I don't know how much the labour rate is up there, so find a local repair shop would be best.

Thanks bro.

Yeah took it in the local shop and they just advised a CV boot replacement, and like you said about 1hr labour to do.

So about £80-100 or there abouts.. Is now in the shop getting done.

Thanks for your advice.

Hung

• Like 1