SIM CARD

Hi,

Does anyone have an idea why a dealership would remove a SIM Card from its slot? 

I wondered if it was something to do with the customer being able to look at where the vehicles been?!

Thanks 

Skoda Connected Services / Infotainment Online - Weather, News, Map Updates, online search etc use the customer installed data SIM. Skoda Care Connect, Assistance and SOS etc use the built in SIM.

No idea why an engineer would remove the SIM unless it was to test something or to avoid using the customers data without permission?

Edited by simonharper

33 minutes ago, simonharper said:

Skoda Connected Services / Infotainment Online - Weather, News, Map Updates, online search etc use the customer installed data SIM

I have very strong doubts about that.

Activating Skoda Connect services does not require customer  - provided SIM.

5 hours ago, linni said:

I have very strong doubts about that.

Activating Skoda Connect services does not require customer  - provided SIM.

This is what the Skoda tech told me some time ago, so I bought a SIM and inserted into the unit in the glove box. The activated the Infotainment Online to access News, Weather etc.

1 hour ago, simonharper said:

This is what the Skoda tech told me some time ago, so I bought a SIM and inserted into the unit in the glove box. The activated the Infotainment Online to access News, Weather etc.

Last times I have updated maps online directly on the headunit. 23 - 27 Gb each one usually. Still my SIM card data usage stays around 100 Mb a month.

Well, no idea then mate. All I know is without the SIM, my 20MY Kodiaq doesn’t use the connected infotainment. Map updates i do via USB. It’s never found map updates OTA from the car. 

17 minutes ago, simonharper said:

Well, no idea then mate. All I know is without the SIM, my 20MY Kodiaq doesn’t use the connected infotainment. Map updates i do via USB. It’s never found map updates OTA from the car. 

I have MIB 2,5 unit, you have MIB 3. Could make a difference.

On 04/08/2023 at 19:32, Yogi-Bear said:

He can't possibly have a MIB3 unit - they don't have a SIM slot.

I have a SIM… in the unit in the glove box for the reason that it’s needed for Connected Services @linni in my MY20 Kodiaq Sportline ;)

Anyway……

• 4 weeks later...
On 04/08/2023 at 20:53, simonharper said:

Simon, seems you are right now, but.

I could update maps online before and SIM card really had only the functions for hotspot.

Now, they have completely changed it. Probably too many people would download 32 GB maps over the esim at Skoda`s cost. Only explanation.

• Like 1