High miles Octavia - should I buy?

Ranger

As a Skoda owner for well over a decade, but with an unreliable Kodiaq the latest in the line and which has done its best to try and ensure it’ll be the last, my next purchase won’t be another Skoda, or will it?

I’ve long had a soft spot for the Mk1 and 2 Octavia’s and One thing I’ve decided is that I’m going to buy a runaround to keep the local miles off the replacement for the Kodiaq, and reduce the punishment the dogs give it every day. Having scoured the small ads for what £1500 buys, I’ve come across a tidy looking 2006 Octavia estate, 2.0 Tdi 140 that’s had one owner and dealer serviced up to 2021 with independent since. Cam belt and water pump replaced late last year and body appears to be very tidy.

Downside is 223,000 miles and some minor electrical niggles - parking sensors, rear wiper and a radio that switches itself off at will.

Does this sound a sensible buy or is there a better way to continuing in Skoda ownership for £1500?

Deed is done and my dogs are now the proud owners of a 2007 Octavia estate with over 200,000 miles under its belt, hopefully this will keep the miles off the Kodi until it goes.

The car seems sound, goes for a new test on Monday so comes with 12months. No sign it’s one owner from new was a cabbie, the back seats are firm and unmarked, drivers seat has bolsters intact though all would benefit from the leather treating, and the boot is spotless.

Time will tell but the 140PD engine sounds sweet and the car rides well so maybe 300k isn’t out of order 🤞!

I cant believe how much prices of used UK vehicles have gone up.

5 years ago I bought a UK registered RHD 2006 Octavia Elegance TDi estate with just over 100k miles for £750 in great condition from a private seller, I was the highest bidder.

11 hours ago, J.R. said:

5 years ago I bought a UK registered RHD 2006 Octavia Elegance TDi estate with just over 100k miles for £750 in great condition from a private seller, I was the highest bidder.

Yeah, it's insane. I regret letting my Mondeo go so cheap (at SWMBO's insistence), but my comfort is I "saved" £1000's off the Octavia I replaced my Mondeo with.

On 10/08/2023 at 22:16, J.R. said:

Everything is relative and the price to change will have risen, but not hugely. Those disadvantaged most are the ones buying who have nothing to sell.

Have been keeping an eye on the auction and classi sites for the past six months and I’d say prices are falling slowly, I guess as new supply ramps up so the impact slowly trickles down to the bottom but prices are still very erratic and any car in good running order with a full test will start at about £1200 and the smaller the car, the higher the price. Compared to other cars of various marques I looked at, I’m content with the Octi which given its totally original condition, with a bit of fettling might make a sound future classic. Just need to track down the holy grail of a good driver door card!