New Fabia noise query

BaggyX

What a song and dance if the car is fine but the particular tyres and the size of these tyres make a noise.

Skoda UK used to Approve a Warranty change of tyres from Dunlop SportMaxx or Continentals or some others if cars were 'Pulling Left' and the Dealers could not or could not be bothered aligning the cars correctly and they got New tyres, Pirelli Zero Nero because the disguised the issue but never resolved it. They had harder sidewalls on the 205/40 R17,s that Monte Carlo or vRS came with.

As to swapping tyres from a Demonstrator that Skoda still own until it becomes the Dealers to sell then that occasionally happens, usually to get shot of a customer that is being a PITA.

It's all interesting stuff.

You'd think that Skoda would be aware of tyre noise problems and just simply fit tyres that are proven to be quiet.

It makes sense to make sure customers recommend their cars not slag them off.

Maybe they either need new technical people or maybe they don't care enough for these issues to make a difference to sales.

I was told by Skoda Customer Services that they were 'working through a backlog of complaints in general' ?

I've been a good loyal customer for many many years (6 new cars on 3 year PCP's) and have an excellent relationship with my dealership, so it's in their interest to look after me if they want me to stay !

@PMS

The tyres are bulk purchased by VW Group on price and how many are actually slagging the tyres off that the cars come to the UK wearing?

This is your Customer Services that you are talking with unless you have had your complaint escalated to some Senior Management @ VW / Skoda UK which is unlikely.

?

Do you have a name of the Customer Services Handler or Resolution Manager? 

368071363_Screenshot2022-03-2511_55_58.jpg.edf9de7f74f6008ca469ca99fb9091d8.jpg.59c8e70155a4cf78e8950a1f2f6ef6be.jpg

I am aware of how VW group (and other manufacturers) operate regarding contracts.

Can't say how though !

Re. my complaint.

I am also aware of what you say re. complaints and yes my complaint was escalated to a Senior Resolutions Manager immediately, who I am in direct contact with, which, is why it has all been resolved.

• 4 months later...

I was told that a tyre manufacturer built a factory close to Skoda (Kumho ?) I had these on one of my Skodas, a premium tyre 

for mid range tyre prices, I found them excellent. 

Skoda are using Eco tyres from which ever company, these are often run at high pressures and have tread pattern for low

speed rolling so at speed may produce more noise.  

Yes the KUMHO tyres are very good.

These were fitted to the SE Comfort that I test drove when I was trying to resolve the road noise issue with mine.

They were a deeper profile (65 not 55) and 15" wheels and completely silent.

I haven't got anywhere with Skoda or the dealership who I bought the car through and who eventually pulled out of their original offer to swap my wheels/tyres for the smaller 15" ones off their SE Comfort demo. car.

So, my only option now is to either drop the car and find something that isn't noisy or change the tyres for lower db ones, which is at my expense.

Also, I was advised by Skoda that as the Fabia doesn't have the 'll me sound insulation as my Scala did, plus the dash/door cards etc. are now made from hard plastic not the soft touch material, that this is a contributing factor.

Looks like Il have to live with it for a while until I can get a deal to change it.

After 6 new Skoda over 15 years, it'll be my last !

In the end I bought some 15" aftermarket wheels and used Kumho tyres. Although I can still sense a bit of the original hollow sound this does seem to have quietened it down and made the ride slightly more absorbent. This is on the basis of keeping it for a while so the cost of the wheels is partially offset by the 15" tyres being a lot cheaper.

6 hours ago, PMS said:

Yes the KUMHO tyres are very good.

These were fitted to the SE Comfort that I test drove when I was trying to resolve the road noise issue with mine.

They were a deeper profile (65 not 55) and 15" wheels and completely silent.

I haven't got anywhere with Skoda or the dealership who I bought the car through and who eventually pulled out of their original offer to swap my wheels/tyres for the smaller 15" ones off their SE Comfort demo. car.

So, my only option now is to either drop the car and find something that isn't noisy or change the tyres for lower db ones, which is at my expense.

Also, I was advised by Skoda that as the Fabia doesn't have the 'll me sound insulation as my Scala did, plus the dash/door cards etc. are now made from hard plastic not the soft touch material, that this is a contributing factor.

Looks like Il have to live with it for a while until I can get a deal to change it.

After 6 new Skoda over 15 years, it'll be my last !

In a couple of years the Fabia will be electric and you might find it worth staying as a Skoda customer

4 minutes ago, gumdrop said:

In a couple of years the Fabia will be electric and you might find it worth staying as a Skoda customer

But we have found Skoda customer service non-existent so I plan to look elsewhere next time

3 hours ago, BaggyX said:

In the end I bought some 15" aftermarket wheels and used Kumho tyres. Although I can still sense a bit of the original hollow sound this does seem to have quietened it down and made the ride slightly more absorbent. This is on the basis of keeping it for a while so the cost of the wheels is partially offset by the 15" tyres being a lot cheaper.

Yeah, I had considered doing this, however the insurance company I'm with won't cover it as they class it as a modification.

I told them it was a rectification by Skoda !

Their underwriters state that the car must not be modified/changed in any way even cosmetically.

It states that 'the vehicle  must be as it came from the factory and was supplied and invoiced to me'.

Crazy I know and they wouldn't even cover the Skoda 15" wheels swap even though these are standard Skoda Fabia and my wheels are an option on the SE Comfort.

It's complete madness, but if the insurance won't cover it then you take the risk and hope you don't have to claim !