Hand Brake lever Adjustment

Hi guys.
Need to adjust the hand brake lever travel, is that a fairly easy thing to do without a visit to the garage?
Its just were the cable has stretched i guess, never been adjusted since new 4 years ago. 
Can i do it front inside the cabin with some trim removed?
I should of got them to do it a few weeks back when it went in for the service / MOT.
Cheers

How many clicks does the lever need for handbrake fully on? Are they disc or drum rear brakes?

Shouldn't require adjusting as its self adjusting (drums or discs)

If the handbrake is coming up really high then that might be a broken or almost broken cable.

Have you tried pressing hard on the brake pedal and then pulling the handbrake on hard and releasing a few times? That should reset the drum/disc self adjusters.

If drum brakes, may require stripping and cleaning to get them working properly again.

I think its about 4 or 5 to be hard on. It always used to be like 2 from memory. Just feels like its getting a bit high in use.
Didn't realise it was supposed to be self adjusting or how it goes about doing that.
Mines discs all round, all the pads are good with plenty of life left in them. They didn't mention anything during the service / MOT, everything was green ticks.
So you mean hard on brake pedal and whilst depressed release and engage the hand brake lever a few times?
Can't say I've tried that yet.
Cheers

Self adjusters in the rear calipers not doing what is said on the tin, most likely only one of them.

If you can see the handbrake compensator bracket where the 2 cables attach I bet its at an angle when the handbrake is applied.

If you cant access that then compare the angles of the handbrake levers on each rear caliper, the bad one will move through a much larger angle.

Ok, when i get a chance I'll get under there and have a look. Going to be the weekend now.
I've tried working the handbrake lever a bit more, i don't think anything has adjusted / freed up yet.
Noticed with the brake pedal held depressed hand brake lever does feel a little bit stiff and creaks a bit at the top end of its travel. 

I take it the handbrake compensator bracket is just behind the hand brake lever assembly hidden under the trim?
Is it easy to get the trim off around that area?

I'll have a bit of a google / YT trawl.

Cheers

Edited by Gonzini

2 hours ago, Gonzini said:

I take it the handbrake compensator bracket is just behind the hand brake lever assembly hidden under the trim?

Yes.

2 hours ago, Gonzini said:

Is it easy to get the trim off around that area?

I dont know, you can see it, I can't!

On 30/08/2023 at 13:30, Gonzini said:

I think its about 4 or 5 to be hard on. It always used to be like 2 from memory. Just feels like its getting a bit high in use.

4 or 5 clicks to hard on is ideal, 2 clicks is ridiculously tight and the brakes may not fully release. Likely to drag/wear pads and reduce economy. Which is what Skoda dealers like because it gives them work. Dragging also cooks the calipers long term.

Difference between 2 to 4 clicks is likely just a bit of cable stretch as you speculated, but no harm in checking the balance at the bracket.

Pop out the rearmost tray in the centre console to gain access. You'll see the adjuster nut, requires small 10mm open ended spanner.

• Like 1

Used to be 3 which felt right, there's a bit of movement before the ratchet kicks in anyway.
Just feels like the lever is getting a bit high.
I'll see what i can get access to without trashing anything!
Cheers