4x4 system

Stuart-h

Just done an oil change on a supberb. Does any one know what the oil mess is covering? 
The car is the 4x4. Id suppect ots for the 4 wheel drive system. Can any one confirm it ?

IMG_9394.jpeg

Looks like the Haldex coupling unit or differential.  Seems a bit caked ?  I'd maybe give it a good clean and then monitor for evidence of any leaks.

When you mention oil change, I assume engine oil and not the Haldex fluid ? 

Might be worth checking when your Haldex was last serviced if you don't know the history.  They need the fluid, filter changed and pump strainer cleaned every 30k.

Cheers Dave

I cant really tell what it is from the photo but from the words I suspect its the angle drive gearbox from the FWD differential to drive the rear propshaft, they are known for developing leaks, very very expensive to have replaced by VAG but in reality it will be nothing more than  seal or O ring.

If I am correct and the photo was taken from the front of the car then stop driving before you cause any or further damage, if you will be relying on the main dealer to replace it then you can run it into the ground, the noise will likely become unbearable before anything makes a bid for freedom.

• Like 1